Does Everyone Use 2 Phono Cables with SUT

I just learned a rather expensive lesson from my audio dealer. I always thought I only needed a phono cable from my turntable to my SUT. By adding another phono cable (not interconnect) from the SUT to the phono preamp, I got a nice improvement in “efficiency.” Everything just flows better.

I guess everyone uses 2 phono cables? 

128x128labpro

And here I thought that phono cables WERE interconnects.

The post reads to me:

"Better SQ from better cables."

BFD

No clue what everybody or anybody else has any bearing.

Definitely makes a difference to use a “true” phono cable from SUT to phono pre. Also most phono interconnects come with a grounding cable, some installations may require this some may not, every situation is unique. With my own set-up my Kuzma 4Point comes with RCA cables at the back end and then connect directly to the catridge pins, which is still like using a dedicated phono cable from arm to SUT.

Rather than confuse with labels, as has been noted above the sut to phono preamp cable should be excellent and low capacitance. Doesn't mean expensive per se. The lowest capacitance cables will be unshielded. Your phono pre might be better with shielding and this might raise capacitance slightly. It's a balancing act.

As an aside the lowest capacitance pro cables tend to be coax designed for instrument.

I’m using an Auditorium 23 T-1 step up transformer. Sounds really good with the Madake and 2 phono cables.

I am aware that the A23 “T-2” technically is for higher Ohm cartridges like the Madake. 

I had been using a high-end “tinned copper” phono and regular interconnect. I’d rather not mention the brand to be fair.

That company does not publish the capacitance, but I’ll bet it’s much more restrictive than the Audience cables.