Audio Science Review = "The better the measurement, the better the sound" philosophy

"Audiophiles are Snobs"  Youtube features an idiot!  He states, with no equivocation,  that $5,000 and $10,000 speakers sound equally good and a $500 and $5,000 integrated amp sound equally good.  He is either deaf or a liar or both! 

There is a site filled with posters like him called Audio Science Review.  If a reasonable person posts, they immediately tear him down, using selected words and/or sentences from the reasonable poster as100% proof that the audiophile is dumb and stupid with his money. They also occasionally state that the high end audio equipment/cable/tweak sellers are criminals who commit fraud on the public.  They often state that if something scientifically measures better, then it sounds better.   They give no credence to unmeasurable sound factors like PRAT and Ambiance.   Some of the posters music choices range from rap to hip hop and anything pop oriented created in the past from 1995.  

Have any of audiogon (or any other reasonable audio forum site) posters encountered this horrible group of miscreants?  

fleschler

@rtorchia, you said it it 100%, "they made you feel like an idiot". You aren’t alone, they denigrate anyone that disagrees. Amir doesn’t even use room treatments and disdains them, go log back in and make him feel like an idiot and see how he likes it.

There is no reason to denigrate anyone, including Amir. Fact is fact, he does pass the donation plate, he is a dealer, he openly tells you that you can read bias into his articles, he is a former microsoft exec, he doesn’t have any peer reviewed papers published in any respected "scientific" journals and he is yammering away and made you feel like an idiot, just saying.

Actually the ASR people were very nice about the cable--I just felt foolish myself for getting talked into buying the thing and wasting $95. I'm not an audio engineer but it appears that Amir's reviews are quite well done. To me his analysis of the craftsmanship aspect alone is quite enlightening. He had a Nord amp where the negative and positive connections were reversed, and it was a review unit! As consumers we deserve to know that some mega dollar component shows sloppy soldering and such. I enjoy Amir's tear-downs in particular. I suggest that anyone interested in the field would benefit from reading ASR, even if they disagree with some of the site's positions. 

@rtorchia 

I am still amazed at the vehemence of the attacks on Amir and his following on this thread. All he is doing is applying scientific criteria to his reviews of audio components. Additionally, he provides extremely valuable insights into craftsmanship that is often sadly lacking in high priced equipment.

Their vehemence might not look so amazing if they have a vested interest in promoting high priced equipment.

Not when their most sacred cash cows are being led to the slaughter by Klippel. 

For them, what Amir is doing is not kosha and it's not halal.

Such is the way of the world of man and money.

@cd318 Their vehemence might not look so amazing if they have a  were obligated to disclose their vested interest in promoting high priced equipment.

Fixed.

@CD318, if you like what Amir writes that's great. I'm sure he likes what you write too, write him a check, its your money after all.