Background noise.

I was just reminded of how critical the ambient noise level is to appreciating a good system.

Because the air quality has not been that good over the last week. I had turned on my air cleaner in the next room, on low, about 25 feet away from my audio seat… and 33’ from my speakers. The air filter is not noisy and set on low. I do not notice it when not listening to music while sitting in my audio chair.

I was listening to a vinyl album I know well. I appreciated that I could not hear a bit of surface noise, not even a little. But it seemed like something was missing… the full dynamics of the album.

Finally I remembered the air filter was on. I turned it off. Wow. What a difference. My system’s noise floor is way below my room’s with the air filter on… even though it is really difficult to hear the air filter without the system on.

Ambient noise is really important… even when at the threshold of perception. Distant refrigerators, laundry… or air conditioners. 

ghdprentice

@nonoise

Ok, your user ID is taking on a meaning. I am really sorry to hear about your situation. That has got to be hard.

I actually assembled my former Office headphone system in the adjacent room in part to get away from my quiet air conditioner (in its own room, with a solid door) during the afternoon in summer. But now I can control my air conditioner from my iPhone… so I can turn it off during summer afternoon sessions.

I then upgraded my headphone system to audiophile levels. So, it is in a quiet place and offers isolation. It also allows me to watch the fire and listen to music in my library during the winter.

I really hope you can get into a quiet house soon.

@phusis

I had the same problems with the fans on my amp. While really small, I could hear them. So, I put a line of bolster pillows along the wall behind my system… problem gone. It was all reflection from the wall.

111db speakers… wow!

@ghdprentice wrote:

I had the same problems with the fans on my amp. While really small, I could hear them. So, I put a line of bolster pillows along the wall behind my system… problem gone. It was all reflection from the wall.

Nice solution and find. I suspect it had some, if only minor impact on the overall acoustics?

111db speakers… wow!

Only the horn/compression driver combo covering from ~600Hz on up (fed by the Belles amp) :) The bass section below is 100dB sensitive, and the subs are 97dB ditto. They're fed by a LabGruppen FP6400 and Crown K2 respectively. 

I have probably as quiet a listening room as anyone. Unfortunately the tinnitus has a way of taking over. Oh well, who said life was perfect.

One of the amps in What used to be my primary system developed a transformer hum and it drove me crazy. The amps are from the eighties and I had them serviced a few years back and I asked the tech about the hum and he said what hum?  To me it’s very noticeable anywhere in the room and he had to have an ear right above the transformer to hear.  Someday I have to replace that transformer (about $550) but I’m in no hurry.