Has anyone gone from Tannoy to Zu Audio?

Hej

I'm a Tannoy Legacy Eaton owner who is wondering if the step to Zu Audio DW6 is to big for me.
I really like my Tannoys, but they are a little veild and a little too laidback.
I have a 12w tube amp and the sensitivity of the Tannoys is just at 89 dB.
I usually listen at low volume, which is also not the Tannoy Legacy Eaton's strong point.

So, anyone here that has taken this step? Was is an evolution, a revoulution or...?

simna

@larryi ​​​​​​

Hej

Hmm...  that was bad. Thought Zus were reveiling and "in your face",  but not bright and harsh.

I've been looking at Fyne. Problem is they don't have any speakers within my budget (aprox $6000) that will work with a 12w tube amp.

I've heard some Klipsch,  but I didn't like them (Heresy III,  Forte IV and Cornwall IV).

Sigh!

@simna Have you considered Volti? I've only heard them at shows, but they similar in design to most of what you're talking about, around your budget and in limited show conditions they stood out over most other rooms each time. Plenty of reviews etc. online. Cheers,

Spencer

IMHO you should change tube amps. The Art Audio Jota HC would give you 24 WPC and bring out the best in your Tannoys.

@larryi 

I've been looking around the net about Zu:s being harsh and bright and there seems to be different opinions about that. Maybe some models are and some not. Maybe it's the pairing with some amps that makes them harsh and bright?

Can you name some speakers you've compared Zu (which model?) with when you feel they sound bright and harsh?

@sbank 

Never heard about Volti. At least you can't buy them in Sweden where I'm living.

@jburidan 

I thought a while about giving Cary Audio SLI-80HS a try, but then I will not get the benefit of high sensitive speakers being good at low volume listening.

If you’ve heard a Zu at a show then you’ve definitely heard bright and harsh. If you’ve heard a Zu at home in a well matched system then you’ve actually heard them. Listen to my Zu Soul Superfly for 6 or more hours at a time. Often hard to tear myself away.