Install A Dedicated AC Line at home

Hello

I'm in San Francisco East bay north Berkley area, looking for someone who has experience to Install A Dedicated AC Line for my home, any recommendation will be appreciated! 

Best Regards

Zee   

zensview

Following the recommendations of many a HiFi Guru, I’ve hired an licensed electrician to run 30 amp circuits with 10 gauge wire for my stereo gear. I told him I’d supply the PS Audio PowerPort Classic Outlets (I believe these are similar to the JPS Labs outlets shown above.)

Here’s my question — the electrician tells me that he connects a “tail” of 12 gauge wire to the heavier 10 gauge wire on the outlet end, making it easier to connect to the outlet. 

To my mind (a complete electrical newbie), this sounds like it defeats the purpose of installing the 10 gauge wire — to bring more robust electrical power from the circuit to the outlet to the stereo equipment. 

Can those of you who have more experience in this area share your wisdom so I don’t end up with a botched installation?

Thanks much.

Michael 

@sgreg1 

Is that free install and tax credit only for California ? I don’t drive an electric either but could use the free money! 

@mikempls - If I read the conversion chart correctly 10 gauge is equivalent to 2.5sq twin and earth european cable. That being the case, the electrician is just being lazy in wanting to mix in a smaller gauge cable because 10 gauge is not especially hard to work with  - it's the standard for regular power circuits here - and moreover, he's introducing a totally unnecessary break in the cable - which is definitely bad practice.

Don’t forget if you don’t get a permit or use a licensed electrician and you have a fire in your home you can forget your insurance company giving you a dime. They will use any excuse to not pay a claim.

I have mulled this idea over for myself. But also you must look at the lines you intend to run in the NEW circuit. I find it ironic that peoplw wil spend thousands of dollars on 1 meter of power cable and ignore the standard 12 or 14 gage of ordinary coper or even worse coper clad aluminum unshielded lines in wall in some cases for 100s of feet. Then what about the breaker? Another thing to look at is the quality of and length of the ground to the breaker box. I was looking at a new line my mother had a LICENSED Electrician put in her 100 year old house. When searching out the ground lead, INSTEAD of running a 5 foot coper line to a standard 8 or 10 Ft. ground rod directly next to the breaker box, he ran over 50 ft, directly to the GAS line coming into the house.