VPI VTA Base question

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between VPI's current JMW VTA base, and the 12" Unipivot Base?  Something visual? Or measurements? 

I can't achieve the proper alignment with my 10" Fatboy arm and want to make sure I got the correct base.

markpao

If you are using a vta tower designed for the JMW 12 series tonearm on a table that typically uses a JMW 10 tonearm, and you use the original JMW 10 mounting holes for the JMW 12 vta tower, you will not be able to get the correct 300mm S2P distance without remounting the vta tower.

The VTA 12 has a larger dog leg platform than the VTA 10

I got confirmation from VPI that I do have the correct JMW VTA base. I'm just puzzled as to why I can't get the proper alignment when I have the correct P2S distance.

Right now I'm using the VPI jig and the diamond is at the forward most part of the circle, almost just off of it, with the cart as far back as it will go. I know it's close, but it's not right on, and leaves me no room for tweaking. I do plan on getting a Mint protractor soon and I'm sure there will be more adjusting to come.

The only solution I can come up with is to remount the base for a P2S distance of 260mm (2 mm over). At that point I should be able to pull the cart forward to achieve a good alignment. I have a piece of ebony on its way. 

I'm still open to other suggestions, if anyone has one. 

Thanks

I see you replaced an “original” jmw 10” arm. If you are using the vpi jig for that arm it’s for a p2s of 250 mm and a true 10” arm. The fatboy 10” is actually 10.5”. Could that explain your situation?

My alignment results are from a brand new VPI 10" jig I just ordered along with my new arm and base. 

What cartridge are you using?  Some long body cartridges can be problematic.