Rebadging of Streaming Platforms

So I was reading some Q&A from an audio reviewer last night in which he mentioned that most audio streamers are just rebadged platforms from one or two vendors (I'm talking just the streaming portion of any unit, not the DAC).  I have had more than one dealer tell me the same thing.  So my question for anyone who knows is who actually makes these one or two platforms?  Or conversely, who actually makes their own streamers?  I going out on a limb and am guessing that Sonore may be one who "makes their own" but was hoping some one else had the actual answers.

badgerdms

Everybody jumps to conclusions about the original post, but nobody has actually answered the question.  I think the analogy that might best fit here is CD-Players.  Yeah there are all kinds of DACs, power supplies, and other things that go into the end product but most players contain a disc spinner from either Sony or Phillips (which hopefully your players manufacturer stocked up on to service their product as I have found out).

Yeah, the "magic" is in the implementation, but generally speaking the actual streaming board in any unit really is just delivering the signal to the parts that really impact the sound.  I absolutely don't believe this is a "low or mid-price" thing.  As two examples of brands that you can buy as stand alone DACs or with a streaming card added, it's unlikely that Weiss or Bricasti has developed their own proprietary streaming card.  I'm not saying that is a bad thing.

So back to the implementation question--what can you actually do to a streaming card to really improve what's being feed to the DAC?  And how much variation in units is possible?  Power supplies and isolation look like two positives.  It also appears that the only thing that really markedly improves the sound quality out of a streamer (not talking just 5% better) might be galvanic isolation, something akin to what Sonore does with the Opitical Rendu.  I'm sure there are others. 

So does anyone actually know who produces the platforms that many streamers use?  It seems hard to find (like they don't want you to know), much more difficult than finding out what CD drive mechanism is in your CD player.  

I've got a new DAC coming, just really trying to get down to brass tacks with a streamer that helps me get the most out of the DAC w/o paying for total BS.

Well, if what you mean by platform is the motherboard, then yes, they all use motherboards, all are computers. But implementation is the key, some use pretty much stock off the shelf motherboards, some use custom built motherboard, others modify off the shelf motherboards. In order to determine which board any particular streamer uses, one has to open up and take look. You may also be able to determine board used from interior photos some reviews provide.

The motherboard provides the basis for which processor can be used, some boards can handle high level processing, others only low level. Noise vs. speed is battle here.

Rendering is the another important aspect, some use rendering right off motherboard, others modify with add on boards with better clocks and power supplies.

Power supplies to motherboards also important, some use stock switching power supplies, others have varying quality linear power supplies.

Sonore is one of few streamers using optical, whether it preferable to another streamer debatable.

I agree with OP, many manufacturers don't want you to see what's inside. I've seen some streamers priced up to $10k with not much proprietary stuff going on. I'd suggest one get a good look inside these streamers prior to purchase, learn about power supplies, rendering. Parts used important as well, quality of processor, ssd, RAM has impact on sound quality.

I recently made choice to go with custom build streamer, over $3k in parts alone, this minus external lps cost. I've looked inside many of these off the shelf streamers, very few have near $3k in parts. On the other hand, I do see some pretty nice proprietary work going on in the better ones

OP,

I would forget about streaming cards and platforms and go listen to some streamers. It is obvious from your post that you don’t want to believe streamers make a difference. You want to believe that bits are bits and high cost streamers are marketing hype. Sorry to disappoint you. I tried to maintain that illusion for many years. It came crashing down when I bought my first real streamer, Aurlic Aries G2. From there, quickly jumped up stepwise to a $22K streamer… which I consider an outstanding bargain for the sound quality provided.

I have followed digital for forty years trying to achieve the highest level of sound quality. I have extensively auditioned or owned about 7 or 8 high end streamers from Aurlic, Aurender, and Linn. In general, the sound quality varied tremendously and roughly varied pretty much in line with price… from $3K to $22K. The variation in sound quality amazing… from good to audiophile / analog level. 

The most abundant BS around is that high end streamers don’t matter and are all the same. My rule of thumb, invest the same in a streamer as you would a DAC, Turntable, Phonostage, preamp, or amp. They must be carefully chosen and compatible… then you get your jaw drop moment of “wow, that sounds incredible!”

So there you have it.. believe in what you see and what the majority say or blow stupid money for blind bragging rights. Winner winner chicken dinner.  

Cheers