Kef Reference Tweeters-Ferrofluid Replacement

It took me three months to build up the courage to replace the Ferrofluid oil in my Kef tweeters.
There were several good videos on the internet how to go through the process, one in particular out of Texas. 
There were no videos or instructions which directly related to my specific speakers; Reference 3~2.
They are ~ 20 years old and I noticed that the highs were muddy and dull in the right speaker.
I run a Cardas Frequency Sweep record every 6 months or so.  The tweeter issue was noticeable during this maintenance procedure.
No replacement speakers (tweeters) are available from Kef or anywhere on the internet, so one wrong move and the speaker system would be worthless.  I felt like I was performing brain surgery.

First speaker took ~ 3 hours.  Second about 30 minutes.
I am happy to announce that the 'oil change' was successful!
The speakers are back to full factory operating specifications.
I've attached a link with some photos below.
If anyone needs to perform this procedure I can help walk you through the process.

Take care,
Lou
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qt1ZUPk8jF1QNkUu6

quincy
Ichavesta1;
Not sure I understand what your asking?  If its a Kef speaker, the tweeter and midrange speaker are concentric to one another.  The tweeter sits inside the mid range.  It sounds like the 'inner surround' of your mid range has become detached, which is bad.  Can you take a few cell phone photos of your issue, then create an album, then a link for us to view the photos, please?  If your speakers are over 10 years old replacement units may not be available.  Lou

I am very disappointed to have attempted to revive my SP1353 tweeter only to find it completely dead. I never thought to check the impedance before I started. I don't know if it was dead already or if I killed it trying to replace the ferrofluid.

It doesn't work at all. No impedance at all on the meter. 

After I changed the fluid, I noticed that the silk dome diaphragm has started to separate from the plastic ring. It seems both of the leads are still attached to the posts, but the signal is not getting through. 

I don't know if I should buy some new domes and rewire or just go a different route to replace the tweeter(s).

Any ideas on repairing or replacing?

What speakers do you have?  Have you pulled out the voice coil yet and cleaned up with alcohol?  Voice coil floats in a annulus, can you post a few photos?  Compair your tweeters to mine.  I attached a link at the beginning of this thread...

A bit of a sideways question: does the ferrofluid also dry out if the tweeter is stored in a plastic bag? In other words, is it possible to buy replacement tweeters and store them for 20-25 years without the ferrofluid drying out (which would defeat the purpose of buying replacement tweeters)?

Don, good question!  I'm not an expert on ferrofluid, but I would believe yes, it can dry out just sealed in a plastic bag.  The ferrofluid comes hermetically sealed in a small pouch, similar to what you get catchup and mustard in.  The pouch needs to be cut open to get the fluid out.  If you were to buy new tweeters, I would still take the half hour to clean out the old fluid and install fresh fluid.  Best to not be penny wise and pound foolish!  There may be additive packs of chemicals in the ferrofluid we are not aware of that can off gas into the atmosphere, including a plastic bag......Lou