Looking for warm tube preamp (should pair well with Pass power amp), budget $6000

Right now I have an ARC ref5se and its nice but looking for something of similar quality but warmer (maybe Vac, CJ or something you think will fit well). Looking for smooth sound, full mid range.

Thanks!

smodtactical

@smodtactical 

@ghdprentice 

I’ve owned the Ref5se three times through the years, simply an extraordinary preamp that bridges the gap between the ARC of yesteryear and the ARC of today. In fact, I preferred it to the Ref6.

I have also owned in the past several versions of the Shindo Aurieges and Monbrison preamps including the most recent versions of the Monbrison and Aurieges. What amplification and speakers are you planning on using? In addition, I haven’t owned a vinyl setup in years and it never bothered me that my preamp had a phono stage. It won’t hold you at gunpoint and force you to get a turntable nor will it refuse to work if you don’t LOL. 

The current version of the Aurieges exceeds the performance of the previous Monbrison in my opinion and may be one of the great values in high end preamplifiers, however, it all depends on you amplification and cabling. When matched appropriately, there is simply nothing like the Shindo sound. When NOT matched appropriately, you will wonder what all the fuss is about.

The comment about Shindo not being appropriate for rock and roll is incorrect. A properly configured and set up Shindo system just plays music exeptionally well. It isn’t euphonic, it just sounds like music. It doesn’t “bloom”, it just gets tone, texture and tempo better than most anything. Full disclosure: I have owned alot of gear through the years and there is alot of great gear out there. I enjoy Audio Note and Shindo and Leben. 

@ghasley I am using this for my ns5000 speakers. Cabling is from QED.. the xt40s and kimber hero interconnects. Dac is denafrips terminator with v2 board.

I would like to hear the shindo for sure.

Impressive you liked ref5se more than ref6 ! Did you find the ref5se more rich / musical  and ref 6 too analytical ?

Have you explored VAC at all ?

You should check out the CODA #7x preamp that I just sold. It is soon going to be upgraded with a separate power supply. It was too tubey for me but likely the perfect sound for you. It is a SS preamp so no tubes to change unless that is a negative for you. It was great with all the amps I tried it with.

@smodtactical 

I found the ref5se was a more visceral, tactile preamp with a little more flesh. I also disliked strongly the volume on ref6 which came on entirely too strong out of the gate. Zero was no sound, 10 was VERY loud. Its my understanding the ref6se update addressed this.

I’m not so sure Shindo and NS5000’s have ever been in the same system LOL. Did I miss your amplification in a prior post? In any case, I doubt anything I could add to the discussion would be of value as I have no familiarity with with your interconnects or speakers. Shindo shines when properly matched but I can’t imagine Shindo and Yamaha coexisting harmoniously.