Atma-Sphere Class D… Amazing

Today I picked up my Atma-Sphere Class D Amps. These aren’t broken in yet. And they are simply amazing. I’ve listen to a lot of High End Class D. Some that cost many times what Atma-Sphere Class D costs. I wasn’t a fan of any of them. But these amps are amazing. I really expected to hate them. So my expectations were low. The Details are of what I’ve never heard from any other amps. They are extremely neutral. To say the realism is is extremely good is a gross understatement. They are so transparent it’s scary. These amps just grab you and suck you into the music. After I live with them some and get them broken in. And do some comparisons to some other high end Amps Solid State, Tubes and Class D’s, also in other systems I’ll do a more comprehensive review. But for now, these are simply amazing amps.. Congrats to Ralph and his team. You guys nailed on these.

128x128pstores

But that will never tell you with any real certainty if Random Joe will like your hot sauce. I don't buy based on market research- I try for myself. And I know many people that aren't going to pay $5000 for an amp because a group of people on an audio forum says its s'wonderful! They will want to hear it for themselves in their system, in their space. I also know many people who wouldn't even consider an amp at $5000 without seeing the measurements first.

@kuribo 

Random Joe's taste in food is something quite different from his ability to taste- to detect flavor (and withstand a hotter sauce 😁). If you conflate the senses vs taste in the audio realm then the art of audio becomes impossible! Its not just Fletcher Munson- I chose that one because its so well-known that there is a switch for it (the 'loudness' switch) on many products. But there are other rules- here's one (easily proven by anyone with simple test equipment): the higher ordered harmonics are used by the ear to sense sound pressure. That one is ignored by the industry most of the time (which is IMO why there is so much stuff that is harsh and bright)... The masking principle is what made MP3s possible. While there are minor variations from individual to individual, these rules are shared by all people with hearing and they are far more alike than different! If you doubt that then all audiologists are just so many charlatans 🤣

The fact that you have to try it for yourself is understandable. As audiophiles quite literally because of limitations in measurement and how spec sheets are designed going back 70 years, despite whatever anyone has said about a product be it audiophile, reviewer, dealer or manufacturer, if his lips are moving he's lying. We've all experienced this so often in the audio world that we don't even think about it- we just have to get the product home to find out no matter what the spec sheet says.

We've had the ability for the spec sheets to really show what the equipment is going to sound like for some time. But it appears the industry would go into conniptions if they actually printed the evidence of why their gear sucks so much! (FWIW Bruno's efforts cannot be quantified since he doesn't sell a finished product. You only get to hear what someone has done with it and that isn't always good... so much for the amazing specs...)

So we still have to audition it at home and make up our own minds. Pretty well defeats the purpose of showing all those measurements, even for someone like yourself! By going with 'measurements only' you are open to confirmation bias. If you really want to be objective you have to drop the measurements thing. Sounds oxymoronic but this is the world we live in today...

@atmasphere

Pretty well defeats the purpose of showing all those measurements, even for someone like yourself!

I disagree- there is much more to be learned from a full suite of measurements than simply how something "might" sound.

While there are minor variations from individual to individual, these rules are shared by all people with hearing and they are far more alike than different

We still have no way to accurately predict what an outcome will be for a randomly chosen individual listening to reproduced music- will he prefer a tube amp or class d? Again, the fact that there are successful class d amps and tube amps is proof that there is no consensus subjective choice.

If you believe measurements can indicate subjective sound qualities, publish your measurements and show us how. Show how the GaN fet is an advantage with numbers.

@jerryg123

Many complain it is to sterile sounding.

And many love it. What's your point?

@holmz

The ear is not a simple passive transducer. The brain actually sends signals. Back to the ear.

Not back to the ear, to the auditory cortex.