Balance control?

I’m running an analog exclusive rig and feel like I’ve been dealing with a channel imbalance for awhile now. I’ve tried trouble shooting this every single way I can think of. The cartridge is set up correctly, checked tubes, etc. My question is: am I obsessing over finding the root cause or should I just cave and use the balance control on my integrated? I feel like it would be ideal to find the cause and not use the balance control. Dose using the balance control introduce anything into the signal? Ugh. 

paulgardner

@frogman good call on the subs. Mine are in opposite placement of each other. One in the front corner, the other is just to the left of my listening position. I tried turning them both off. Imbalance is still present. What if I told you that the imbalance is present on roughly 60-70% of my records. The imbalance causes the vocals to lean slightly left on 60-70% of my records. The other 40% of my records vocal are dead center and don’t require me to use the balance control. I realize this sounds slightly insane but it is what I’m hearing. I’ve had friends confirm they’re hearing the same thing so I know I’m not completely out of my mind. 

I experience the same issue on some of my recordings.  Some simply don’t have a solid and stable center image; very frustrating.  At this point I would take some of those recordings to your friends’ and see if the same thing happens on their systems.  Good luck.

It is unwise to judge channel balance based on “perfect” centering of a vocalist.  You have no idea what the sound engineer was after when he set up the recording session or what sort of mixing was done.  Very often, the vocalist appears to be standing just to the left of center, near to the piano, in a jazz recording.  With the bass, drums, and etc to the right or behind the vocalist.

Balance control is a tricky thing. You have to consider if, for instance, the vocalist was standing slight to the right or left of the mic 

Yep, don't count on recordings always having perfectly balanced center image. I especially hear this with 60's recordings when stereo first became ubiquitous, engineers really liked to play with panning, separation, often hear vocalists slightly off to left. Seems like this was common practice, vocalist slightly off to right very rare.

Mono recordings can also expose an off center balance.  Play lots of mono recordings, you should have equal fill on both sides of the center. Try for the nicer mono recordings, those with wider perspective, crap mono recordings very narrow center image.

Stereo recordings can throw one off here, engineers, producers can do some pretty strange things.