Speaker Placement

I have never understood why some people advocate listening from about a 60 degree angle relative to the L & R spkrs. True stereo dynamics can only be realised by positioning at about 160 degrees or even 170. 180 might be a little much as our ears are tilted inward slightly.
roscoe50
It seems to me that 180 deg. would have you sitting between the speakers. and 160 deg. would be *extreme near-field. Maybe you need to check your math...

-RW-
I think what he is trying to say is that because our ears are 180 degrees from each other the speakers should be too.A little less than 180 because our ears kind of point forward. what he forgets is that we are not trying to listen to two sounds. We are trying to localize one sound, which is what our two ears do using timing and amplitude, including the delay caused by the distance to each ear, and blocking of the sound by our head. the two speakers try to recreate location similarly, through a blend of the two sounds. If the speakers were on either side, we would hear two separate sounds.
Of course, its much more complicated than that, and volumes have been written on the subject.
Reminds me of when I was young listening on the floor to Grand Funk Railroad "Closer to Home" with my head between my parents console speakers.
In order to realise full stereo dynamics, it is necessary to position your speakers as if they were headphones--- one on the left & one on the right. Sitting at one tip of an equilateral triangle does not work.

Onhwy61---- the source is moi

Tpreaves-- I am not sure if I agree. All of our ears are designed alike.

Djohnson54-- I don't think u understand what I am getting at. I am not saying that one has to sit behind the speakers.

Rlwainwright-- I am referring to the angle of the spkrs--- not the distance.

Manitunc-- The nature of stereo IS two separate sounds. If u want to 'localise' them then listen to mono.
All of our ears are not designed alike. That's like saying all speakers are designed alike.
01-08-13: Roscoe50
In order to realise full stereo dynamics, it is necessary to position your speakers as if they were headphones--- one on the left & one on the right. Sitting at one tip of an equilateral triangle does not work.
That's just plain wrong. Sitting at the tip of the triangle absolutely works.