Audio Science Review = "The better the measurement, the better the sound" philosophy

"Audiophiles are Snobs"  Youtube features an idiot!  He states, with no equivocation,  that $5,000 and $10,000 speakers sound equally good and a $500 and $5,000 integrated amp sound equally good.  He is either deaf or a liar or both! 

There is a site filled with posters like him called Audio Science Review.  If a reasonable person posts, they immediately tear him down, using selected words and/or sentences from the reasonable poster as100% proof that the audiophile is dumb and stupid with his money. They also occasionally state that the high end audio equipment/cable/tweak sellers are criminals who commit fraud on the public.  They often state that if something scientifically measures better, then it sounds better.   They give no credence to unmeasurable sound factors like PRAT and Ambiance.   Some of the posters music choices range from rap to hip hop and anything pop oriented created in the past from 1995.  

Have any of audiogon (or any other reasonable audio forum site) posters encountered this horrible group of miscreants?  

fleschler

Taking a look at the Atalante 5 speakers really whetted by appetite. I can see them easily replacing my JBL 4319 monitors as I have the perfect stands for them. Now I have to wait and see if a retailer opens near me and for some reviews. Nice history behind them.

All the best,
Nonoise

@kokakolia Agree and that's why I posted my experience.   

What is missing from ASR and discussions is used equipment.  When I was younger, I sought out highly rated used equipment, especially speakers.  I purchased Audionics, Acoustat X, 1+1 ad 2+2s, Martin Logan Monolith III, Legacy Focus and Signature IIIs, all at very low prices compared to their new equivalent.  Why not a Yamaha C4 or 50 preamp, or Yamaha CR 620 receiver?   Their equivalence is hard to match for $1000s.  

I noticed at ASR that Martin, a major contributor consistently posts his love for and upgrades in the Von Schweikert speaker line.  He purchases most of his equipment used and desires VS Ultra 11s as his ultimate speaker.  He listens to classical music. He also powers his VS VR5s using a Topping amp which is a strange combo.  He is an anomaly on ASR.  Matthooper had a video on amp stands improving sound versus nothing.  He was torn apart for wasting money and that his video was a sham of the difference.  Typical ASR forum. 

How about this statement by MattHooper that ended the discussion on The Truth About Vinyl Records:  Most of what people are doing on a forum like this has very little to do directly with the appreciation of music. Page upon page of discussion, and music rarely comes up. This place is devoted to The Gear.

How many musicians, or what percentage of music lovers, in the world concern themselves with SINAD ratings, or minute distortion levels in DACs or amps, or measuring cables, or learning all the technical information about electronics, speakers etc? Most "music lovers" don't need any of that stuff (much less The Most Accurate System Possible) in order to just listen to and enjoy music.

The person who has researched every nook and cranny about his hi-fi system, who has engaged in hours of careful set up, room measuring/digital EQ, getting subwoofer crossovers just right etc....that stuff is just another version of gear fetishism. It may be toward some goal, but most "music lovers" have no need for such gear fetishism to enjoy music. They would see it as having "very little to do with the ability to appreciate music."   

Basically, I am curious how you arrived on a purchase decision on the main element of the audio system, speakers.

3" soft dome mid driver and 12" bass and curiosity. I could tell by the design they would have a nice wide dispersion. I had no idea if I would like them but every so often I take a leap of faith. 

The Dutch and Dutch have superb measurements and apparently very pleasing sound.  They would not be my choice though.  And they are expensive.   I'd rather have the Revel 228 or my Legacy Signature IIIs for very much less.