Balance control?

I’m running an analog exclusive rig and feel like I’ve been dealing with a channel imbalance for awhile now. I’ve tried trouble shooting this every single way I can think of. The cartridge is set up correctly, checked tubes, etc. My question is: am I obsessing over finding the root cause or should I just cave and use the balance control on my integrated? I feel like it would be ideal to find the cause and not use the balance control. Dose using the balance control introduce anything into the signal? Ugh. 

paulgardner

It’s probably the cart. The Puffin balances them out.

Compare temporarily to a CDP etc.

I dealt with it for many years before I got a Puffin. The important thing to remember is that any "degradation" from the balance pot is most likely already there if you use it or not. My pre has no balance pot, all electronic.

What’s so hard about trying and listening?

I feel your “pain”; I too am very sensitive to channel balance issues and one can really obsess over it. The first obvious question which you haven’t answered is have you always had this issue, or did you make an equipment change, including cabling, around the time that you started noticing the problem?.

**** I did swap the interconnect on the phono pre but couldn’t really tell if the imbalance moved or not. ****

This tells me that the issue is pretty subtle and probably with the room and not your gear; except perhaps with the subs. Otherwise, you should be able to clearly hear whether the imbalance jumped to the other side or not. Here’s what I would try and what worked for me (I too use a pair of subs, and I don’t have a balance control):

I assume you have your two subs situated L/R; one for each channel. First, turn off the subs and see (hear) if you still have the same issue. I would wager that the issue goes away. Bass frequencies and resulting room nodes are often the issue; it was in my case. Even if your room is symmetrical, if one side has a load bearing wall and the other does not, or has a closet and the other does not, each side will reinforce or absorb bass frequencies differently. The effect of this can impact our perception of the midrange. Then, swap the subs. It is possible that one is producing slightly more output than the other, or they are not exactly the same at the xover frequency settings. If nothing changes, then you know that the subs are not the problem and it is the room. I was able to, if not entirely fix the problem, greatly improve matters by slightly adjusting the output of one sub relative to the other.

Good luck.

Btw, don’t assume that because you have no ear wax that your hearing acuity is the same in both ears.

Good point. Our eyesight is not perfectly balanced either. In fact, each eye will also see very slightly different colors that are 'adjusted' by the brain. 

Good point about the subs too. I only use one, and there is no doubt that it contributes to the left side because of its physical location. 

@frogman good call on the subs. Mine are in opposite placement of each other. One in the front corner, the other is just to the left of my listening position. I tried turning them both off. Imbalance is still present. What if I told you that the imbalance is present on roughly 60-70% of my records. The imbalance causes the vocals to lean slightly left on 60-70% of my records. The other 40% of my records vocal are dead center and don’t require me to use the balance control. I realize this sounds slightly insane but it is what I’m hearing. I’ve had friends confirm they’re hearing the same thing so I know I’m not completely out of my mind.