Counterfeit Chinese Cables

I thought that I would write this for those who are curious about one of the many counterfeit Chinese interconnect cables that are available these days. I know that there have been threads about the subject before, and I was always curious because they seem to be such a bargain. I don't really recall much about what any members actually said about the performance of these counterfeit cables, and I didn't look back and do any research, but a couple of months ago there was a thread that came around to discussing the quality of Chinese made components, and oldhvymec said something that made sense to me.

He said that people that say that what they are making is junk should consider that much of what is in our gear, and a lot of our American brands are actually manufactured there. I decided shortly after that that I would take the chance on a set of interconnects, because I suspected that the interconnects going from my pre to my amp were the weak link and needed upgrading. The interconnects going from my DAC to my pre were Kimber Select which are very good, but the other set were LAT International (now defunct) which had cost $500.00 when new, but I had reason to believe they were lacking because I have one of their digital cables that turned out to be very poor sounding in comparison to others I own.

I decided on a one meter pair of counterfeit Nordost Odin interconnects for a total of $104.00 from Aliexpress. I received them a couple of weeks later. They appeared to be well made, and the locking fake WBT rca's were very impressive and are very tight. 

First impressions after installing them were light, thin sound, lacking bass. Each couple of days brought improvements, but from the beginning I noticed that they were quieter. Now, weeks later, I can say that they are drastically better that the LAT's in every way. Detail and ambience are much better, but it's the focus and separation of instruments that is most noticeable. 

I have no way of knowing if they are really a copy of the Nordost design, but I am impressed enough that I am going to try a counterfeit Nordost digital cable.

Obviously, this isn't a comparison that is useful to most, because there probably isn't anyone here using the LAT's, and everything is system dependent. I just wanted to relay my positive experience. 

Nordost ODIN&2 RCA Fever Audio Signal Cable Double Lotus Sterling Silver Audio Cord Video CD Amplifier Tube Cable High Quality| | - AliExpress

128x128roxy54

As long as they're making fakes they may as well duplicate the Made in USA text and a valid serial number. Doesn't make it any more authentic.

I'm sure of that. I just wonder how much of the wire/stranding method is also copied?

ozzy

Just received my Odin Gold 2 interconnects today. Build quality seems good, the only dislike is the tubing around the cable. I don’t know if the real Nordost has that? It’s like aquarium tubing. Connectors sound metal when tapped together. Also includes a serial number.

Sound is unbelievable and I couldn’t wait to plug them in otherwise I would have taken more photos. More air and detail, nice smooth relaxed presentation. Just waiting on my PC and I had ordered the Valhalla speaker cables but now going back to order the Odin speaker cables.

Don’t know why pic doesn’t show

I'm sure of that. I just wonder how much of the wire/stranding method is also copied?

ozzy

From what I have seen of the raw cable for sale, and some cutaway pictures, they use a single mono filament spiral, not the dual. This is on the Odin fakes. So its the Norse tech level.