What is the added value of a streamer over a networked dedicated Computer

Hi

I see lots of sales pitches for streamers as digital sources, and plenty on this site advocating them. I get that they're a purpose-built user interface but, apart from that convenience, including a visual display on the device, (i) do they really deliver better hi-fi sound as a source over a well set up computer dedicated to hi-fibreoriduction (ii) if so, why?

Here's some background to my question(s). I currently use a dedicated Mac Mini with SSD (headlessly) and Audirvana Plus software through a USB DAC. I tend to listen to digital files on external drives (wired connections). Some are high Definition eg Flac, some are aiff ripped from my extensive CD collection. Currently I only tend to use Spotify etc to test if I like music and invest in actual downloads of the music I like.  In day to day use the Mac Mini/Audirvana Plus (virtual) player is controlled using its remote app on an iPad on the same Network. If I wanted I could add high quality online streaming from, eg, Tidal. Whilst that would expand the breadth of music I have immediate access to, it seems to me to add another potential source of interruption/corruption of data flow. The Audirvana software overrides/bypasses detrimental computer audio elements and processes keeping the data path simple and dedicated to hifi audio replay.

So what, sound quality-wise, would a standalone streamer device using NAS or other drive storage and/or online web connection bring to the party? It seems to me it's just a digital device containing effectively the components of a computer with a button (or remote) interface. I understand the old argument that it's dedicated and not doing other things simultaneously and that computers are traditionally electrically noisy environments but I'm currently sceptical that with a dedicated computer, not being used for other purposes, and running a virtual device like Audirvana Plus which effectively switches off internal functions which might compromise sound, this is a real problem. Also it seems that a "dedicated streamer" contains many elements which are effectively computing elements. Note that I have no industry connection or monetary interest from Audirvana or Apple.

128x128napoleoninrags16

Here is my advice, probably similar to the above in a nutshell:

1. Run the Roon Core (ROCK) on a Mini PC that is overbuilt compared to Roon’s ROCK specs. You can use a SMPS brick or if you want a LPS. Not sure it will make much difference. 
2. connect the above with a good Ethernet cable to an audiophile network switch. 
3. connect another good Ethernet cable to your separate streamer. Provide that streamer good power. 

Wow, seems to be some polarized responses.  I've been reading here and other forums to decide my next step and it seems fairly universal...  It's either very, very worth it to upgrade to a streamer or bits are bits.  I have to find a way to A/B this... I just got some decent speakers but only have a low end Denon AVR as an amp/DAC so not sure I'm ready  (but then forum posts often indicate AVR DAC's are fine).  Would love to try though.  I hope the OP posts his thoughts if he makes a change/purchase.   

Regards,

John

Music, when digitised, has two dimensions. It has amplitude, ie loudness, and it has frequency.

When being recorded it is sampled at a precise rate. If the data isn’t presented to the DAC at precisely the same timing of the original sampling when it was recorded it will sound poor. So, the data, which represents the amplitude of the music must be correct, and error correction techniques ensure this, but crucially the timing must be consistently spot-on too. That’s why different streamers etc sound different.

Noise is electrical mush which interferes with the timing of the data to the DAC, not audible hiss.

@john737 I have been at this digital game for 5 years now and no longer bother really with my legacy CDs or vinyl, I am 99% streaming.

But it has cost me $$$ to learn the following:

1. Buy a good streamer like Aurender or Innuos or Grimm etc

2. Buy a good DDC with internal or external LPS like a Singxer SU-6

3. Buy a good DAC with a proprietary USB input module alongside a host of other input types like BNC & AES, like a Denafrips or Holo Audio or Lampizator or Sonnet etc

4. Buy a good ethernet switch with a OCXO clock inside and which has an internal or external LPS, LHY, Melco and Nordost make good ones

5. Buy good digital cables like Shunyata or Furutech or AQ etc

The upshot is every link in the chain matters sonically and synergistically to one degree or another. Case in point, using fiber optic in the chain like I've done after getting a Lumin P1, which made a fascinating, VERY noticeable impact on clarity, separation and soundstage.

Finally, one last piece of advice - disregard anyone who chimes in on this thread with a "bits are bits" claim who has not spent serious time and money on optimizing their digital playback system... they don't know what they are talking about.

@john737 

Visit your local audio store and compare cheap bits are bits to more costly digital equipment.  Go listen for yourself.  Believe your ears and not what you read.