Recommendations for HiFi Listening Room

Newbie here.  Wife and I are looking to turn our Great Room into a listening room.  It’s roughly 21’X’19 and has a cathedral ceiling that is 11’ tall at the wall and 20’ tall at the apex.  Spoke to a good hifi dealer in the area who made the following recommendations/proposal and I’m curious if this group may have any input for getting maximum bang for my buck.  Basically, with a budget around 35k (or thereabouts) would you buy something similar or are there any components you’d add or swap out?

Paradigm Persona 3F

McIntosh MA8950

Pro-Ject Xtension 9 w/ Ortofon Black Cartridge 

Sony ES DSD Music Server (this one concerns me a touch in that it appears to be an 8 yr old product line).

Thanks so much in advance for your collective expertise.  My wife isn’t going to let me drop money into this for another 15 years so I need to get it right the first time. 

If it matters, our musical taste is quite varied: classical, jazz, classic rock, alternative, hip hop.  My mother complained in my youth that if i had 10 bucks I would just buy a CD with it.  She is still right. 

128x128brewerslaw

Speakers: Vandersteen Quatro CT with built-in subwoofers and tunable bass response

review Quatro CT

or Triangle Signature Deltas

Triangle Signature Delta loudspeaker | Stereophile.com

You can do a lot better than what the dealer suggested.

As per others, the first thing to do is to find two or three brands of speakers that you really like, which may require a bit of travel, but it will be worth it.

Once the speakers are set, you work back from there.

+2 for Vandersteen Quatro's.

+1 for Magnepan

Don't forget Sound Lab, if you like planar speakers.

I would like to add my 2 cents/piece of advice-

When I started out in the 80's, there were lots of dealers in the NY area and I could listen to lots of speakers/systems. I had to put all this on hold, as I was trying to make a career (yup, in Gardening/Horticulture- not the most lucrative of fields).

When I finally got some discretionary income, I remembered the Vandersteen's and how great they sounded (Mind you, this was the Model 2). I was pleased that he was still in business, and even came out with newer models.

I got a pair of 3a sigs, which were great, but lucked into a pair of Treo's. The difference was significant-more refined would be the best descriptor. If I had the more physical space to house them, I would get the Quatro's in a heart beat. But, I make do with the Treo's and Sub 3's.

So, long story short, I hope you can find time to audition as many speakers as possible so that you encounter a speaker that engages you-much like the Vandersteen's do for me. Once you get the speaker down, the remaining equipment (and, if necessary room correction) will be a breeze.

Bob

Instead of the McIntosh, I'd go with the Anthem STR Integrated and jump to the 5F Persona

I have to recommend extensive auditioning of systems from different high end dealers. You want to find the sound you are really emotionally drawn to. It is ok to audition really expensive equipment… to find “the sound” you guys like. Include tube equipment. I am sure the dealer you are talking with is recommending a good system from his knowledge of you and what he Carries. But, it would not hurt to spend time with other systems. See, what sounds right to you. Be careful of trebly systems, they can sound detailed… then over time you realize that is not good, that is harsh. Pay attention to your wife. She has better hearing… she will be drawn to more musical systems… pay attention to her.