Direct Drive

I am firmly in the digital camp, but I’ve dabbled in vinyl.  Back in the day I was fascinated by Technics Direct Drive tt, but couldn’t afford them.  I was stuck with my entry level Gerrard.  I have been sans turntable for about 5 years now but the new gear bug is biting.  I am interested in the Technics 1500 which comes with an Ortofon Red and included pre amp.  I have owned Rega P5 which I hated for its speed instability and a Clearaudio Concept which was boring as hell.

Direct Drive was an anathema to audiophiles in the nineties but every time I heard  one it knocked my socks off.  What do the analogers here think of Direct Drive?  I listen to Classical Music exclusively 

mahler123

@mahler123 If you possess an indelible recollection of a very good impression left from experiencing a DD TT in use and find the thought of using DD as a Turntable an attractive idea.

The chances are that there is not too much more to do, you have discovered the TT Drive that one can Wed themselves to.

Why not see if you can create an opportunity to share in the experience once more, the outcome might be that ’socks might struggle to remain on’.

I have a history that is loyal to LP as a Source. I am deeply rooted in using a LP as a source material and did not become a DD TT user for many years.

Belt Drive was the first motor drive and was in use for some years, Idler Drive Superseded the Belt and remained in use for many years, and now DD is the TT of choice, and I won’t be going back to the other drives as the main motor in use.

I can still use an alternative motor drive, but mainly put one to use occasionally, for nostalgia and sharing the experience of using one with others.

Digital arrived much later for myself, and I am now at a place with it, that is very satisfying. CD has of recent years, proved to be a very good source material; I have no concerns for it being in partnership with the LP source.

@sokogear , Yes, that is what I said.

@lewm , accepted. I know exactly what speed my platter is running at to 1/1000th of an RPM. The turntable tells me in bright green LEDs. The motor is not mounted to the sub chassis. It is mounted on a separate platform that places the pulley, belt and thrust bearing in the same plane. Under normal circumstances there is no movement between the motor and sub chassis and no belt slippage at all. The belt itself is a filter, a low frequency filter. Below that frequency everything moves together such as if I lift the turntable up and down slowly. Above that frequency such as at pulley speed all vibration is absorbed by the belt. Nothing gets to the platter. 

As in a classical motor, the rotor is driven by the stator due to electromagnetic interaction.  Nothing physically touches the rotor (in this case, synonymous with the platter) in a motor

What about the bearing?

@mijostyn  - I was surprised to hear you prefer the Thorens over the SOTA that you have gushed about in the past.

@sokogear , Why? A Sota Sapphire with a Kuzma 4 Point 9 is $8000. The Thorens is 1/2 the price.