Backert Rhumba 1.3 OR Modwright LS 100 ?

Better pre-amp ?  
My amp is a BRYSTON 4b3
thanks !
kineticaudio

I am a huge LTA fan and love my MicroZOTL Preamp. I did recently purchase a Backert Rhythm 1.3 for a second system. The Rhythm is clearly superior to the MZ Pre but at twice the price. I wish I could comment on the Rhumba but I have never heard them side by side. The MZ Pre is no slouch and it’s not going anywhere.

@milpai 

i use NOS 12SN7’s with adapters. This is compatible with the 12AU7 it comes with. The 12SN7’s say Mullard on them and I didn’t know Mullard ever made any 12SN7’s. 

@lancelock In what areas is the Rhythm better than the LTA? I have an MZ2 with upgraded LPS sitting in a box I haven’t gotten to listen to yet, so would be interesting to hear your thoughts before I finally get it up and running just for frame of reference. Never heard a negative word mentioned about any Backert products, which to me puts them among the audio elite.  Also, did you do any tube rolling with the MicroZOTL and if so do you have any favorites?  I tend to prefer neutrality and detail/soundstage but with still some natural-sounding flesh on the bones.  Thanks for any thoughts.

@soix 

The Rhythm 1.3 has a fuller sound stage and an even more refined, realistic image. It really shows you why a good preamp is important and don’t get me wrong because the MZ preamp is a killer pre and same with the MZ2. Don’t forget the Rhythm is in the $10K range.

The LTA pre’s do respond well to tube rolling. I’m using all NOS tubes. Currently Ken Rad 6SN7 and NOS Brimar 12AU7.

@lancelock Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts/experience, and I’ll definitely look into the tubes you mentioned. This is my first foray into tubes and I’m really looking forward to experimenting with various tubes so really helpful to hear LTA lends itself well to rolling, which I didn’t know before and very happy to hear. What changes did your NOS tubes produce versus the stock tubes?

I can’t see going wrong with either the Rhumba or MicroZOTL and have never heard anything negative written about either, which is pretty rare IME. The reason I went with the MZ2 was price and that it’s also an excellent headphone amp that I’m looking forward to hear driving my Hifiman Arya Stealth ‘phones so is a nice bonus in my particular use case. Thanks again for your valuable advice.