New power service

I had a new power service  put into my home today. I needed to service my new woodshop. So had a 200 amp service put in upgraged the 100 amp service that was here.Anyhow while I was at it I paid the extra to make sure the feeds were all copper and removed  the aluminum  out of the power delivery  to my home. The old meter base when they removed  the old meter was burnt wondering  if there was a short in the meter at some time in the past

Anyhow new copper wire new meter and meter base and even though the amps are not warm.yet everything  has taken a large step up. It was special before it is scary good now. 

128x128retiredfarmer

Very interesting, and congrats on the improvements.  Just goes to show that in audio everything really does matter.  My panel sounds just like your old one — time to call the electrician. 

@soix  if you do decide  to look into it. Have them take the meter off the meter base that took about half a minute  the meter has a couple of large  spades that push into the receptacle.  Lol kind of like a king sized plug in. I should see if I can take a picture  of mine and post it. Thinking a bunch of magis is from the meter base replacement.  Thinking I might end up listening  to the different  receptacles  and plugs on power cords again things have changed enough  it will likely  be easier  to come to a judgement but a fellow might change his mind. 

Regards

@ erik_squires what would you suggest for one. I have never cares for any type of surge protector  in my system  tried a bunch  years ago and I just gave up on the idea and plugged everything  directly  into the receptacles. Most years I unplug the solid state stuff during  thunderstorm season  and listen to the tube system  instead  it gets turned off each use. 

Hey OP:

Siemens (Boltshield), Square-D and Eaton make plug-in protectors for their panels. Others may too. They take up 2 breaker slots and take about 5 minutes to install. I am surprised your electrician didn’t recommend one as they are required as of the 2020 NEC guidelines.

At the stereo or PC I use either Furman with SMP or Tripp Lite for the PCs and less sensitive stuff.

I’m afraid I’m often away from home when thunder comes rolling around so I know for sure I can’t always be around when it’s time to unplug things. I work from home too so the amount of surge protection and UPS units I have is a little ridiculous. 😁

For your cable/network coaxial line put a gas discharge protector with replaceable gas tubes outside at the ground block.

The whole house surge suppressors are a no-brainer when you consider how much they cover.  They won't keep your delicates (PC/Stereo) protected, but consider I have 8 GFCI outlets in this modest home.  They cost about $20 each.  Add to that all of the smart switches (about 10 of those) for lights and ceiling fans around $30 each, plus the new AC units... a $150 surge protector + installation makes sense.  Plus, they help surge strips work better by keeping most of the current at the entrance.