Class D for Repatriated Merlin TSM MMI

I recently repatriated a pair of Merlin TWM MMI from Singapore. Calvin Ho of CK Audio made its return home quick and painless.

I have read the forums and understand that most seem to prefer tube amps. I know that is is against convention so far as I've read, but, due to heat, space, my back and weight, I am inquiring  of any successful synergistic  pairing of Class D amps. (Yes, I am trying to avoid 55 pounds of iron)

My sense are these little guys might benefit from lots of power but like everything the proof and synergy is in the pudding.

Thanks for any experience one can share.

derekw_hawaii

I listen to both Class A and D, Tube and SS, enjoy them all for their different nuances and sound characteristics. 

I personally enjoy some of these newer technologies, yes some are a fad but I think Class Amplifiers have turned the proverbial corner.

@atmasphere , Thanks for your post, you make some excellent points! I do understand that the different harmonics of distortion are what gives amps their sound etc and I'm sure these modern machine built products sound fantastic. For me, it is about sustainability and being able to fix my own gear. I suppose you could be correct about future serviceability. It seems in the realm of possibility that a machine similar to the ones that build the smd boards, could troubleshoot and rework them. For now it seems mostly that only the factory will service smd boards and after warranty expires well...  For myself, my hands are too big and my eyesight is not good enough to want to go near one of those boards... as I suspect are many techs, so sure just replace the module, but what happens to the old module? I replaced a hypex PS module once and the boys from the Netherlands didn't care to take the core. I do admit that I'm a bit of a retro grouch though. Peace

NAD M33, now a bit under $5k, does everything including easily powering my 4 ohm Monitor Audios.  Has a class D Purifi type amp with nearly zero (inaudible) distortion, plus Dirac Live room correction.  I love mine!

It seems in the realm of possibility that a machine similar to the ones that build the smd boards, could troubleshoot and rework them. For now it seems mostly that only the factory will service smd boards and after warranty expires well...  For myself, my hands are too big and my eyesight is not good enough to want to go near one of those boards...

@pwayland I don't think anyone has eyesight good enough to work on surface mount boards like that without magnifying glasses. But if you have those its a different matter. Its all about the tools you have and like cars or bicycles, the tools change with the times. FWIW we build our modules by hand. If the components were any smaller that likely wouldn't be the case.

WRT the old module, that's not unlike what you run into with bad filter caps and other parts in older stuff. Last year I repaired a set of Adcom amps that had caps that had leaked and thus destroyed the driver boards in the amps. You can't clean them up- the material of the board was damaged in this particular model. The only solution is to replace the boards which is what I did. Not cheap and not particularly easy, plus you wind up with a waste board that is about 3x larger than the typical class D module. So while I understand your concern, the simple fact is this is nothing different with class D in any way whatsoever!

I’ve had Merlins, both floor standers and the TSM MMM Black Magic editions. They respond nicely to higher power delivery though Bobby P ran them a lot with ARS-Sonum tube amps.

I’d be careful with class D amps as anything on the lean side or bright on the top end will sound particularly bad with these revealing speakers. If you can find a used H2O S250 Signature, then you’d be in for a real treat. The H2O is a fantastic amp, detailed yet full-bodied. I haven’t heard Ralph’s amps but they’re on my bucket list.