NEED TO REPLACE OLD FAITHFUL- WHICH AMP. SHOUD I CHOOSE

27 Years ago I purchased a brand new Audio Research D400 Mk.2 Amplifier. 200 Watts per channel solid state. Last weekend the capacitors blew out. I talked to Greg at Audio Research and he told me they do not work on this model because of it's age and that parts are no longer available. I need to buy a new amp. I have an Audio Research Ref. 5 SE pre amp and use Dali Helicon 800 mk. 2 speakers that are 89.5 efficiency.

The list of amplifiers that I am considering are as follows.

Coda 16, McIntosh MC462, Aesthetix Atlas Stereo, 

On the tube side I am considering,

Zesto Audio Bia120,  VTL S120, Ayon Triton Evo Mono's and maybe Audio Research Reference 160S but that really stretches the budget.

Does anyone have any of these amps?  I would really appreciate your suggestions.  So far I kind of like the Coda 16

motorheadflash

I owned the CODA #8 and own the CODA 07x preamp. I demoed the CODA #16 with the 07x at my CODA dealer. It was very easy to hear the difference between the #8 and #16. I was primed to get the #16 but then I took a chance and upgraded my Krell K-300i integrated to the Krell Dou 175XD amp.

Both the CODA #16 and 175XD are Class A amps, though they get there in a different ways. I thought the Krell 175XD was better than the CODA #8 and more like the CODA #16. I am very happy with the 175XD though I am using it as a headphone amp.

I need a 2-channel amp for my Livingroom much into the future. I am looking at the CODA #16, the soon to be released Krell KSA i400, or a used Krell Dou 300XD.

Here is an out of box thought.  Since you said the "caps blew out" which tells me they are power supply filters, as those are the ones most likely to blow.   If the capacitors you mentioned are indeed in the power supply, you can put in capacitors of the same capacitance and voltage rating.  You can also put in a higher voltage rating, say an extra 10 or25% but they will be bigger.   I'd stay with the same size capacitance, or at least, a small amount more, say 20% max.  Again, they will be bigger.   They may not fit exactly, but they will work just fine.   Choose capacitors which can handle very high ripple currents - they will be more expensive but you want that, it will be one of the specifications listed.  If it isn't listed, keep looking.  Low ESR and ESL are an advantage as well assuming they don't come with reduced ripple current capacity.  Try searching DigiKey.com for capacitors.  You will need aluminum electrolytics, polarized.  

@spatialking +1! Power supply cap replacement is an easy repair. Why spend thousands on a new amp?

I think you should consider giving a listen to some of the better GaN amps out there from the likes of AGD and Atma-Sphere.  By all accounts they are outstanding amps that do an excellent job of combining many of the virtues of tubes and solid state and are much more efficient than either, and I’ve read the term “end-game amp” used in reference to them more than once.  Just another option to explore FWIW, and best of luck in your search.