Great classical pianists

Alexandra Dovgan is the pianist of her generation.

In the last century there was Richter. Today Trifonov. Now a new phenom. What is it in the Russian water that produces such giants of the keyboard?

We enjoy all great pianists. Rubinstein, Pollini, Argerich, Backhaus, Kempf, Michelangeli, Schnabel, Pogorelic, Gilels. Please add your favorite to this embarrassment of pianistic riches. But there is primus inter pares. 

chowkwan

For the Beethoven sonatas -- the New Testament of solo piano -- I prefer Annie Fisher.  Her playing is full-blooded, passionate, engaged.  

Among current pianists, I find Vikingur Olaffson compelling, especially in Philip Glass.  His technique is staggering.

Another contemporary player with impressive command of the instrument is Marc-Andre Hamelin.  His recording of Frederic Rzewski's "The People United" is a blast.

As he is affectionately known in Russia, Vanya-Van Cliburn.

Certainly, there are many masters of the keyboard. But Vanya’s deeply emotional interpretations stand out as one-of-a-kind. He was in a category all by himself.

Mitsuku Uchida is one of my favorites, particularly for Mozart but her style translates well to other composers. I also like Maria Joao Pires--her Nocturnes are fabulous as are her Wigmore Hall chamber recordings. 

apr records released a series of recordings entitled The Russian Piano Tradition. Lot’s of Soviet Era recordings in this catalogue. I used to believe the Russian school to be mostly psychological but right after the Orange Revolution, I visited a friend in Odessa, Ukraine. We went to the Philharmonia Concert Hall and I saw a Juilliard schooled pianist who also studied under the Soviet system. After seeing and hearing that, I had a new appreciation for Russian musical training.

Anyway, the apr recordings are out of print but they are scattered about on the internet. I have a couple originally recorded in the early to mid 1950’s and the remastering is excellent.