Recommendation for Headphones

My current rig is a Lumin U1 mini feeding a Intona isolation unit feeding a Chord Qutest DAC feeding a Primaluna evo300 integrated amp with tube upgrades.

I use Goldenear Triton 1r speakers.

What would be a good headphone for this setup.  Would like to keep it under 2500 if possible.   Thanks Much

mlapenta

I would recommend Focal… maybe Clear. I own Utopias. They are exceptionally easy to drive and have excellent sound quality.

One reason I wouldn’t get carried away buying super expensive headphones is using the output from the Rogue might be an inferior output. Some outstanding very high end integrated amps have low power / poor quality headphone outputs. I don’t know this… But in every case I tried, a separate high quality headphone amp has been vastly superior. Perhaps someone here in the forum has done comparisons. It is very possible that say a Woo WA6SE and a set of $1,000 Focals would sound much better than better Focals powered directly from the Rouge. You can see my headphone system under my ID.

I also have Audez LCD, Sennheiser HD800, Beyerdynamic T2 (incredibly musical… but harder to drive). Denon 5000.

You’re gonna get recommendations all over the place unless you share what sound characteristics are most important to you.  Also, can you use open-back headphones that leak sound into the room or do you need closed-back so as not to bother others or to seal out outside noise?

You are correct.  sound characteristics, I like bottom end, not bloated but tight and deep.  I know headphones will never match speakers but would like something impactful.   I can use open-back or closed-back.   Thanks

What about mids, treble, warm versus more neutral, soundstage/imaging, etc.?  What kind of music do you tend to listen to?  The more info you give the more targeted and useful the recommendations will be. 

Since i have a tube amp, i like a more warm overall sound.   kind of music everything but in order of priority i would say

classic rock

jazz

"new" rock

classical

trip hop

hip hop

electronica

world