Amp Internal Wire

Hi Gents, has anyone have any experience with upgrading amp or preamp internal signal wire? Most older equipment seems to have thin maybe sometimes poor internal wiring. In the world of OFC/OCC/Sterling and even more exotic wire available these days, any experiments done using this internally on components swapping out the cheap?

Lots of discussion about doing this with speakers, but never with components I've seen. For instance, I am thinking about replacing copper 'appliance' wire in an old Bryston with 14awg sterling from the board to the speaker binding post board.

Any thoughts?

rickysnit

You know that the path on circuit board are copper not silver and performance does not suffer. Special case is to make board it self of Teflon but that really because temperature. So wiring everything with silver is not necessarily but Teflon insulator  over copper is ok.  Hell we use this type of wire since the 1970s,  it’s not new thing.

I have heard VH Audio’s UniCrystal OCC single solid core copper and their silver wire with purity of 5n (99.999%) is very good.VH Audio uses a foamed fluoropolymer insulation and not a solid fluoropolymer or teflon. It has been proven to keep the voltage more stable, reducing energy breakdown point to point by 30% over teflon.

• What is energy breakdown?
  • Are there some plots that show the voltage is more stable?
    • Is that DC supply voltage?

In the case of tube circuits a centimeter or two of wire is in series with the conductors in the tube sockets and the pins up through their connections to the internal tube parts such as the plate not made of silver, the grid wires, and the cathode. These less than exotic signal paths are not considered an issue and they do little harm to the sound. The difference between more exotic less disruptive wires between tube socket terminals and other circuit elements makes the value of exotic wiring insignificant. In the case of resistors or capacitors or transformers which have their own wires connected to tube socket terminals you can't unroll a capacitor and replace the wires and re-roll the capacitor. You have to trust the capacitor manufacturer to choose the best wire. I think Mundorf can be trusted to use the best wire in their capacitors. 

For transistors you have wires of the transistors you can connect directly to adjacent components. Otherwise, where you can replace wires, there might be no noticeable difference but for a foot of pure silver wire without insulation and ease of soldering is affordable and will not do any harm. 

Ralph, I didn't understand that statement. Are you talking about frequency of mechanical vibration, and what aspect is the comparison about?

Not vibration- dielectric constant, which affects the quality of the capacitor that is formed between the wire and anything else its around (stray capacitance).

So wiring everything with silver is not necessarily but Teflon insulator  over copper is ok.

Teflon does not seal the wire. So you can expect copper in Teflon to be corroded. Add a bit of heat to the mix and the corrosion happens faster. So if using uninsulated copper, Teflon should be avoided.

Theories are nice.....but the only way to know what something does audibly....is to listen. 

All wires sound different.....all strandings sound different, all insulation sounds different, all wires (single strand or multistarnd) are directional (will sound different each way used).   The vibrations in wires seriously effect sound. Getting wires off the floor or away from most things opens up the sound.  If you cryo a wire it will sound different.  YOU HAVE TO LISTEN.  I have been listening to wires since the 70s......There is still no "perfect" wire......pretty darn good these days tho.....several of the suggested above are very, very good.