What is the best non-conditioning surge protector

Currently, I have an AudioQuest Niagara 1200 power conditioner with surge protection. I thought I loved it until I decided to unplug my Atoll IN300 from it and plug it into the wall (just so you know, I don’t have an audiophile duplex in the wall). I was expecting the sound to be brighter with a little more coloration. To my surprise, the Atoll sounded so much better than it did connected to the Niagara. I could actually hear my components and how amazing they really are. So next, I decided to unplug my Pontus ii and Hermes from the Niagara, and the sound improved even more. I’ve had the Pontus for a month and liked it (the soundstage is gigantic) but thought the Qutest had more detail and was wondering why I bought the Pontus. Removing all three from the Niagra, I have fallen in love with the sound of the Pontus and my setup. I think the Niagara’s conditioning completely changed the sound of my system resulting in loss of detail. I have a Furman and hooked up the Pontus and Hermes to it and it sounded the same as when they were connected to the socket. I want to protect my setup so my question is, what is the best non-conditioning surge protector on the market?  

128x128stevebohnii

Exactly what I would expect.   Plug it into the wall and unplug it when storms in the area.  

This Belkin surge protector is what I use for my audio, video and computer gear. It may not be expensive enough for y’all who think they have to drop $2000 or more for your components, but it does the job of surge protection right. Do your homework and then check this one out.

After moving to the lightning capitol of the US, I have a whole house surge protector installed and I use Brickwall on my AV system (although it provides minimal filtering, I have not found any issue with its use); also the type of protection that Brickwall provides is non-sacrificial. I believe Surge  X uses the same type of technology as well.

You may want to research them and see if this may be useful for you.

Good Luck!

DeeCee

I have a Shunyata Venom PS8 power strip. You can add a small plug - in power conditioner if you want to. Mine came with a power cord, and the plug - in power conditioner as a discounted bundle. You can use it with or without the power conditioner.