Yamaha ns 5000

Greetings 

thinking about purchasing these speakers. Will be used in a near field environment powered with esoteric 30wpc class a

Others on short list KEF ref 1 meta and focal utopia iii stand mount

any adv, suggestions appreciated 

digitaljoseph

The NS3000 and NS5000 are amazingly neutral and fast, but out of these two for near field I would choose NS3000.

I’ve heard these two near-field in all Yamaha setup with Yamaha CD-S2100 and AS-2200. These setups sounded very live front-row seat experience, but even with NS3000 the setup was already powerful enough. NS5000 definitely needed more space to breathe.

Because you listed Kef Ref 1 and Utopia, I believe you are looking for slightly warmer tone? If so, then yes, Esoteric F-03A and a warmer sounding DAC like MSB Discrete would help.

If you want speakers similar in sound to NS3000 and NS5000, consider auditioning Cabasse Baltic, Audiovector R1 Arrete, and ATC SCM100 as well. Slightly more laid back in sound you could get Kaya S12 or Harbeth SHL5Plus.

I have heard the ATC SCM 100 actives.The NS5000s are much better-especially midrange tone and timbre.What surprised me was how boomy the ATC s were .