Amp Internal Wire

Hi Gents, has anyone have any experience with upgrading amp or preamp internal signal wire? Most older equipment seems to have thin maybe sometimes poor internal wiring. In the world of OFC/OCC/Sterling and even more exotic wire available these days, any experiments done using this internally on components swapping out the cheap?

Lots of discussion about doing this with speakers, but never with components I've seen. For instance, I am thinking about replacing copper 'appliance' wire in an old Bryston with 14awg sterling from the board to the speaker binding post board.

Any thoughts?

rickysnit

I agree with those who are saying enough is enough. On my speaker designs, I use a better quality wire inside of them than most Major manufacturers do, but that is even overkill. A couple of years back Belden did a study and claimed that their CAT5  wire was quite sufficient for Audiophile grade connections up to 10 feet. and you are concerned over 4 inches or less?!?!

Now I might not agree with Belden, but that is what you will find inside speakers for less than $5000 in many cases. ANy High-End Company worth its salt has done its homework and knows that we are talking about things here that are so far beyond being measurable it is ridiculous.

My custom built 300B SET monoblocks has OCC silver internal wire and same for output transformers, I did replace a couple internal wires with Duelund dca for a bit more warmth. My speakers wired with combo Furutech and Duelund dca, Jantzen solid core and litz inductors. I've been experimenting with wire for years, with many components and cables, to claim it doesn't result in changes in sound simply means you've never attempted it.

Time is so precious, I would rather spend it on something else. I can solder well, just don’t really enjoy it. To each his own, enjoy the time you’re given.

Would it not make more logic to just buy a new amp?

Then if you are going to replace the wire should you not replace all other components and the power supply. What about replace all the connection points.? Again just buy a new amp! Your logic is to replace a perceived weak link and will just make another link the weak link and on and on?

Almost overwhelmed and very grateful for all of the lively and informative opinions here, and it’s much appreciated gentlemen, thank you.

I referenced an old Bryston, mine is a 4B ST. I really appreciate the gents with experience with this particular Mundorf cable I’m considering, and also those who haven’t upgraded any internal wire. I view it as a reduction in weak links. Weak links are inevitable, one less of them, it’s like one more high end interconnect in the mix. Each binding post, each banana plug takes something, goal here is to up the score by 1.

The wire in my view is horrendous at 100 Euro for 1M, laughable, but I’d only need 1M of it.

The holes on the board are nice, the boards are nice, they are eyelets which fit a 14awg max, so would fit that 15.5awg/1.5mm elegantly - on that amp, they then connect via faston to the binding posts - I found some ’better’ furutech ones.

All has been encouraging to move forward with this project, interesting to think about the bass and clarity I’d get with 14 awg silver solid core, Mundorf.

Love reading your great stories and experiences!