Speakers around 4K: Ascend vs Tekton vs Vapor

Hi,

I'm in the market for mains to complement a JTR Orbit Shifter LFU sub.

I've done some looking around online, and honestly it's a nightmare trying to navigate the world of home audio speakers to find the best choice.

So far, based on the reviews I've read, Ascend Sierra Towers, Tekton Pendragons (maybe the SE version), and Vapor Cirrus seem to be getting the best reviews for their price points. They are all very different though.

Has anybody heard all 3 of these? Or thoughts on other things I should consider?

I'd like to narrow the models down to the most promising ones, and hopefully be able to audition those so that I can make the best decision.

Thanks!
breakbeataesthetechs
I'm not sure if you saw the official JTR on AVS forum.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1165099/official-jtr-speaker-thread/4860
I highly doubt that the other speakers you are looking at would put out those kind of dbs without distorting.
They look like a ton of speaker for the money.
Are they only two grand ? Good luck on your search!
Hi Todd, thanks for the input. I am aware of the JTR thread and I started my own thread regarding this search at AVS forum.

They're expensive for me, but I'm going to get this right the first time. It seems because I'll be using the speakers for home theater, that will narrow down the choices a lot. The good news is that, to me and apparently a lot of other people, the Noesis did sound very good for music.

The guy who let me audition the speakers has gone through lots over the years and feels like he's settled on his Orbit Shifter/Noesis combo (with smaller surrounds).

The price for a pair would be $4400 plus shipping.

I think I'll start calling the manufacturers and asking them about the usable output and how the speakers should fare for home theater, and see what they say.
If you want high SPLs, it may be the Vapor Arcus and not the Cirrus you want (though the Cirrus is excellent). The Arcus is a big prodriver-based monitor, and goes dangerously loud without strain, and without a lot of watts. It is also a splendid speaker: delicate, but lively on the attack (Vapor kindly loaned my a pair for two weeks, so I listened a lot). You would need subs, esp. for movies, but that might also be true for others you are considering.

I agree with the PP to the effect that Selahs are also very worth consideration.

Please take care of your ears,

John
I own the Cirrus, after auditioning quite a few speakers. Initially I was using mine in a mutli-functioning theater room/listening room and I must say they certainly didn't dissappoint. I Had a 10" low end HSU supwoofer in there but it didn't really keep up with the speakers so it was shortly after retired. My Cirrus had no problem keeping up with movies at near reference levels, I am sure they could go louder but I wouldn't be able to take it.

I have since moved the Cirrus into a dedicated listening room as the wife said the living room had too much audio gear in it. So when I took the turntable, phono, and Media PC out of the living room, the nicest speakers in my house followed. Anyways lots of other good stuff on the table, hope this helps. Vapor goes sort of in its own way with cabinet construction, with one of the most beautiful meticulously engineered cabinets along with the best drivers in that price range I have ever seen, that really sealed the deal for me. I have heard the Ascend Sierras but only at a show and I can't honestly say I remember much about them but I might have been kind of showed out by then.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
I have 2 pairs of Zu Omen Defs and an Omen center channel in a system that has to serve double duty as a 2 channel system as well as a home theater. I loved the Zus for 2 channel music, but they are also exceptional performers in a home theater setup. With the newest Nano drivers, they have a sensitivity of 101 db/watt, so they are very efficient. I'd say the Omen Defs are worth a listen -- Zu has a 60 home trial period.

I have not heard any other speakers on your list, though I did own a pair of original Tekton Pendragons with upgraded xovers. Awesome speakers for the money, they would also sound terrific in a home theater setup. I ultimately preferred the midrange in the Zus for 2 channel music, but the Pendragons were no slouch.