A rookie with 10K, seeking advise

I'm new to the HiFi world. I listen to a lot of female vocal and classical music. I like both digital and vinyl. I am using a pair of Wharfedale Linton heritage and PS Audio Stellar Strata. 

I know this is too broad a question, but with 10K budget, where can I wisely spend my money? I don't mind tubes and I don't mind used either.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

llid2

@past says:

Listen to Open Baffle, Electrostatic/Planar, standard box speakers.

What I love about this answer is how practical it is. Others have emphasized the critical starting point of speakers and speaker-room synergy. This answer both presumes that and gives you a compass direction -- try basic types of speakers first and establish that preference. Then, look to brands of this speaker, then to amplification. That's very, very orienting advice. 

@clearthinker 

I agree 100% . Don’t assume electrical fault, test ! Adjust as necessary setting up dedicated audio circuits. Look at your room size and treatment, Size does matter, Great sound requires comparable acoustic volume. Decide on a preferred music format, research and target product in that regard. As a rule I don’t assume, it generally wastes time and money. There’s many a hand grabbing at your wallet and truck loads of garbage so research and dialogue is a must. Enjoy the hobby and the  music.

Cheers

I was in your shoes, OP. Lots of great ideas. Here are some thoughts.

Interconnects, power cords, speaker wires. I spent about 1100 for all of it. I bought all mine from Pine Tree Audio, an internet seller. Sounds fine to me. There are several others that are reasonable. I would not go wild on wire.

Streamer: the top selling is probably blusound about 600. There are also ways to lower noise on digital sources. This becomes a separate post. In general, power cord upgrade, get rid of wall warts. Inline filters such as NA Eno or Ether Regen. Hard wire ethernet to streamer, cat 6 or higher.

DAC. I would keep the one you have now.

Preamp/amp: Nice integrateds available now. Integrateds take less wire and space. You can buy tube or solid state. Tubes are a warmer, lusher sound. Tubes dont work well with inefficient speakers. there are some high powered tube amps; most are less than 50 watts. Solid state more detail power better at running low impedence loads. Hybrid(tube preamp and SS amp) integrateds available. You could keep the one you have now. Rogue is a good value, they make a variety. A class A/B amp usually have more power but run Class A at lower volumes. Class A are usually lower power and warmer sound, Leaning towards tube sound. Class D are detailed and energy efficient. This is a general classification sound signature and power matching between amp and speakers are important.

Speakers: Most speakers are what I call inefficient. Either low sensitivity or low impedance drops at certain frequency ranges. Horn speakers are more efficient. They can be harsh if built cheaply or paired with wrong components. It sure would not hurt to try other upgrades if you like the general tone of your speakers.

Other: have you spent time with speaker placement? Component isolation can sometimes really open things up. Cover windows and or buy room treatments. Do you have enough power or the right speakers to fill the room?

Phono: I skipped this for several reasons. It can be incorporated into your preamp or be it’s own component. I didn’t add this to keep down costs and clutter.

These are general suggestions to get you started. I would spend on several things. It would help if you have a dealer handy or friendsto help.

Go digital. Bluenode server. Denafrip DAC, preamp, amp, and 2 good speakers. You are done. You will get best sound for the money. You can choose tube integrated also, like doge, or primaluna integrated. As simple as that, you will have 90% nirvana. For another 5% yo need to get to 50K budget. 

The 1st thing I would do is to purchase the Robert Harley book 'Complete Guide to High End Audio'. Read chapters concerning choosing a system, allocation of funds, how to become a better listener, system setup and room acoustics prior to those dealing with components. 

Think through where you see your system going regarding digital vs. vinyl source. You may wish to improve one source at a time. With digital you have access to a vast store of music at much less cost than vinyl. 

Think through your take on how your existing system is playing into your room to better identify what improvements you wish to make.

Ask yourself what funds over the 10K  you now have you might be willing to spend on your system over the next couple years. Allows direction on expenditure.

Well, all I have for now. Hope to hear back on your journey. Good luck.