Lamont Dozier Passes Away

Lamont Dozier, of the mighty Holland-Dozier-Holland songwriting team, passed away on August 8.  A woefully belated thread around here. 
These songs: 

“A Love Like Yours (Don’t Come Knocking Every Day),” “Mickey’s Monkey,” “Where Did Our Love Go,” “Baby, I Need Your Loving,” “Heat Wave,” “Can I Get a Witness,” “Baby Love,” “Come See About Me,” “Baby, Don’t You Do It,” “How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You),” “Stop! in the Name of Love,” “Nowhere to Run,” “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch),” “It’s the Same Old Song,” “Take Me in Your Arms (Rock Me a Little While)” “I Hear a Symphony,” “My World is Empty Without You,” “You Can’t Hurry Love,” “Reach Out (I’ll Be There),” “Love’s Gone Bad,” “7 Rooms of Gloom,” “Standing in the Shadows of Love,” “Bernadette,” “Heaven Must have Sent You,” “You Keep Me Hanging On,” “Come ‘Round Here (I’m the One you Need),” “Give Me Just a Little More Time,” “Band of Gold,”

…and many more

tylermunns

As profound an impact on popular music as anyone.

Nerds who routinely read the fine print under the song titles of their 45s, who care about music, know who he was.  Everyone else; not so much.

Very unfortunate.

WOW, what a flock of memories flew through my brain as I was reading through the list of songs he contributed to, actually played a few last night that were covered by Jr. Walker and the All Stars. A few are staples as I put my grand kids to bed as we sing them together. R.I.P.

It’s ridiculous.

And that above list are just the bigguns.

As consequential as Goffin/King, Lennon/McCartney, Smokey Robinson, Ashford/Simpson, Leiber/Stoller, Gamble/Huff, and Stevie Wonder, when you stack up the numbers like that.

Wow what a loss to the music world. Growing up thru the early 60’s I can’t imagine that my love for music would be the same with out this Trio of writers, Lamont Dozier may not have been actively writing In his senior years, but has left a legacy.

My sympathies to his family and partners.