Hobby, Hobby, Hobby?

Okay, maybe I'm being sensitive, but I don't consider my pursuit for musical perfection a hobby. This is a natural extention of my musical expression, education and critical analysis.

The playback system is a tool which allows me to hear deeper into one of the main driving forces in my life, "music". Do I get paid for listening. No, but sometimes I get paid for recording live performance. And, I record every performance I go to.

It seems to trivialize my passion when it is called a hobby. I know, I have had hobbies, coin collecting, stamp collecting and even now I make wine. But music, now that's not a hobby!

I suggest we strike the term "hobby" for our vocabulary when discuusing musical pursuits. Anybody feel the same?
ramstl

It's a hobby that acts like a springboard to a lifestyle, if done correctly. Otherwise it can become an obsession or a fetish, which would be counterproductive, unless you're into that sort of thing.

All the best,
Nonoise

I see this hobby being like many hobby's. Take boating for example you buy a Sea Ray SLX 260 the 19ft and each year you desire the next size up. I think we call this 2 foot itis.....

But dang it is fun and  it keeps the Audio Dealer and the Boat Dealer employed.

For me right now I am quite happy with my system and for me it is about the music 100 watt itis. For now.  Sold my boat thank the lord the lakes are so low here but we are not fining dead people yet, like they are in Lake Mead. 

Yes,..er  the lakes are getting low. If they get any lower, I fear the people that laughed at my "hobby" are going to start showing up.