CD transports

I recently started running my CD player ( Luxman D380) through my external DAC and have found a significant sonic improvement.  I wonder if I would achieve further improvement in sound quality if I traded in the Luxman and bought a dedicated CD transport ( price range 3-4 K ).

Has anyone gone down that rabbit hole?

mdrone

I wonder if I would achieve further improvement in sound quality if I traded in the Luxman and bought a dedicated CD transport ( price range 3-4 K ).

No. Keep your Luxman as a transport til it dies. Take that money and buy an Innuos Zen Mk3 server/ streamer for about $2500. Load all your CDs directly into it and enjoy all your music from your chair in any order you wish. Plus, you’ll have access to worlds of music through streaming you would’ve never otherwise been exposed to. This, IMHO, has been the greatest upgrade in music I’ve ever made. I listen to my own music less than 50% of the time these days and have discovered so much more music that enriches my life so much more than any equipment upgrade ever has. Get the Innuos Zen and a Qobuz subscription and I promise you your audiophile experience will be totally transformed forever. Just my $0.02 FWIW.

@jc4659 

Still loving it

FYI: I was listening last night, pushed pause, but when I hit play the display went dark, and nothing I did brought it back to life. I've had a similar issue with my comcast cable remote when the batteries are too weak. I use rechargeable batteries, so I stuck them in my charging device and took them out after ~ 10 hours. I had to turn the dac off/on, but then all was well again
hth

Get the Project transport.  I have compared, owned, upgraded over 50 transports.  The project was the best sounding I have heard to date.  The Jays is a different sound that the Project but also a very good option.  Anyone who feels that a transport does not make a difference just does not have enough experience with them.  The Rega Saturn is a very good cheaper option and can be upgraded to sound even better. Once you heard the Project you can for get the streamers.