Willsenton R8 Tube Amp with REL Subwoofer

Hi, my setup is the Willsenton R8 with PS Audio Direct Stream Memory Player CD/SACD and Bel Canto DAC 3.7 going into Sonus Faber Sonetto VIII speakers.

I play a wide range of music Classical; Jazz; Rock and Electronic.

What I'd like help on is anyone who has added a REL subwoofer to the Willsenton R8 and if possible Sonus Faber Sonetto speakers and what if any benefit they saw? It's not that I don't have bass definition as I do, it's just if adding the subwoofer produces a worthwhile improvement?

sparksgja

This is less a question specific to the Willsenton and likely more based on general subwoofer benefits based on your room size and integration.

A properly integrated sub in that system will, yes, add more bottom end, but more than anything, it helps to neutralize and room modes, which results in a wider and deeper soundstage and more clarity in the imaging across the entire frequency spectrum. This is the primary reason I absolutely love subs that are well integrated into a system and room.

What this will not do is ease the load your speakers are looking for from your amplifier unless you implement a crossover between the amplifier and speakers. For instance, if you want tighter, faster, more articulate bass and musical midrange, you may be better off going with an amplifier that is better at delivering the necessary current to your speakers than the Willsenton. As seen here, basically the entire frequency range under 1kHz is under 5 ohms. This, combined with the capabilities of the Willsenton, will likely deliver a sound may be musical but not as controlled. And if the sound coming directly out of the speaker is not that controlled, then adding a fancy Rel sub won’t tighten the sound that much.

How big is the room this system is in?

The room is large basement  - 29' x 25' widest about 14' up at the narrow end and low ceiling of mixed height of 7' to 7'9. I have the speakers set up at the narrower end and pulled out about 4' from the rear wall.

IMHO, the key to successfully integrating any subwoofer, is to use it to subtly augment just the lowest octave of the bass you already have, and not feature it. Assuming you want natural musical bass, and not dance floor thump, I’d run main speakers full range, feed the high level input of the sub with the amp’s output, set the low pass filter to it’s lowest setting (40-50hz), and set the gain just loud enough so you can barely detect that the sub is on. The REL and your Willsenton with your speakers should work really nicely once placed well and dialed in suitably. There’ll be plenty of trial and error to optimize it, but that’s part of the fun.

Thanks to both of you for responding. I'm really agreeing with both of you.

I think a more powerful amp will help drive the SF's better with more control and detail, but to do that probably means going the tube mono-block and pre-amp route. Right now the Willsenton is probably the weakest main component.

I do think the using amps output and amplification in the REL sub via the high level input was the way I was thinking of going, and dialing in so its barely detectable.

I can try the REL for 60-days through a local dealer so I'll probably start there but start saving for a new amplification approach. 

Thanks again, George

The amplifier does very well with a REL sub. I set mine up with the Neutrik cable to a T7i in my library/office room and a pair of Martin-Logan Motion 35XTs, a 2-way 92dB ported speaker with AMT tweeters. My speakers are on isolation stands on a credenza, so the bass support is helpful.