Tweaking Cary SLP-98P F1 Preamp

As you know for SLP-98, the F1 mod is a significant improvement over the standard. I just bought one used and the stock 6SN7 tubes that come with it are horrible. So, I am waiting for WE6SN7 tubes for it. Until it arrives I want to ask people with experience with F1. I have Pass X350.5 amp driving Soundlab ESL speakers.

1. How good can it get with best tubes?
2. Some have recommended using NOS 6f8g/adapter instead of 6SN7, any thoughts?
3. After getting the best tubes, is it still worth it to direct-couple it? It is supposed to improve bass, dynamics....
128x128chungjh
Hi chungjh

With so many vintage 6SN7 nos tubes out there, why mess around with adaptors. There are a lot of people that feel that the 6SN7 is one of the best sounding audio tubes ever made for a preamplifier. I’m sure if you spend the money and find a reputable dealer you can trust who tests his tubes and properly matches the tubes that the sound quality will amaze you when compared to the factory tubes. I would recommend the better name brands from the 1950’s or the 1960’s. When you start getting into the middle to later  1970’s the quality starts to drop off. I would focus on the better name brands like Telefunken, Amperex, Siemens, or Mullard. These can be expensive but they can absolutely transform a preamp’s sound quality to a whole new level. Try Brent Jessee’s website.  Audiotubes.com.  For an extra $10.00 a tube he will properly match them with a curve tracer which is a piece of equipment a lot of these other tube dealers don’t have. I would recommend tubes with the same name brand, made in the same year and with the same date codes. Once you hear a great pair of properly matched, nos vintage tubes, you’ll never go back to using the factory tubes! Good luck. 

Scot
Has anyone direct coupled their SLP98F1? I sent mine down to Cary for direct coupling. I used to think direct coupling meant removing the output capacitor, but it sounds like Cary takes out capacitors between the gain stages. Is this correct?

Not that much. I ended up selling it. I am now using Benchmark LA4, which is great.