Subwoofer RCA Cable

Is a subwoofer RCA cable any different than a regular RCA cable of good quality?

koestner

I always try to buy a relatively inexpensive subwoofer cable from a well known company. Although, I have not heard a difference… I have not done a real study of differences. For me, it is “just in case”.  Most people don’t notice… I think a few can. 

i run Benchmark XLR cables from my preamp to the sub. I then use a Cardas XLR to RCA adapter to connect to the RCA inputs of my KEF KC62 sub. I do not worry about long runs with XLR's.

As far as RCA sub cables go, I’ve only compared DH Labs sub cables, and not against cables that are meant for full frequencies. That said, the DH Labs Thunder cable, which is made of pure silver coated copper conductors, proprietary shielding and solid copper connectors were much higher performers than the DH Labs Sun Sonic cable which uses copper conductors. Stepping up to the Thunder resulted in much improved speed, definition and amount of kick. The Sub Sonic was much rounder and slower in comparison. 

It will depend on who you ask, but most people who believe in investing in quality cables including me will say yes. I say it like this because any cable thread is bound to go south on this forum.

Wait for it…

Don't go cheap but don't go broke either. A quality RCA. I use the supplied NEUTRIK SPEAKON that came with my REL Subs.