Phono Stage Amp

I have a mid-level to low end turntable. (Music Hall 11.1) and a low end decent Phono Stage Music Fidelity M1. Good tonearm and good cartridge. 

I listen to JAZZ so volume isn't too much of an issue, but sometimes I just want it loud. I have Cary Audio slp-05 tube pre and the Cary Audio mono block main tube amps as drivers

I crank the volume up just past half way and there tends to be distortion. Below half way the sound is incredible. The records sound better than the corresponding CD or, of course, DAC streaming.

Would upgrading my phono-stage to one with greater boost help me? Or is that half (my whole phono system) of my system as good as it could get?  

128x128cinqcepages

If you like the sound with your digital source gear just just replace your current cartridge with one of higher output.

You can get a nice 1.0 mv Grado for $600 as well as gobs of high output MM's

in the same and even lower price range.

Assume that they (even though less expensive) would sound better than the current mismatch you are dealing with.

If the dealer who originally set you up is local have them install it.

DeKay

Just my prediction:

The system will sound much better with an MM cartridge, or SUT, but: still lack his digital's OOMPH, unless the OP uses a juicier (higher voltage output) phono stage.

Happy listening!

cinquepages,

mulveling beat me to it, and blesses you with the gain calculation! I can only add a couple things.

Since the SLP-05 has input level controls, where do you have them set when playing vinyl? If you haven't tried turning up the input levels, it's definitely worth a shot. You'd need to be careful to turn them back down for digital.

And in spite of the review that said the single ended inputs sound better than the balanced, with many pieces using XLRs gives up to a 6db increase, so that's also worth a try.

David

Post removed 

Good proposal to connect 200wpc.  If this solves problem, it exonerates the TT and front end.

@whyduhitme   Starting again here.  You don't get the fuzz on other inputs than phono.  So try a different phono amp as I note the MA252 has no MC input.  I don't see why changing the phono amp prevents you plugging into the line level inputs on the MA252 as you do now.   I assume you get equal fuzz in both channels?  Check the settings on the Mofo are suitable for the cart.