Phono Stage Amp

I have a mid-level to low end turntable. (Music Hall 11.1) and a low end decent Phono Stage Music Fidelity M1. Good tonearm and good cartridge. 

I listen to JAZZ so volume isn't too much of an issue, but sometimes I just want it loud. I have Cary Audio slp-05 tube pre and the Cary Audio mono block main tube amps as drivers

I crank the volume up just past half way and there tends to be distortion. Below half way the sound is incredible. The records sound better than the corresponding CD or, of course, DAC streaming.

Would upgrading my phono-stage to one with greater boost help me? Or is that half (my whole phono system) of my system as good as it could get?  

128x128cinqcepages

Lots of phono stages do not put out the same level as other components.  So you have to turn up your amp to get the same loudness.  Which is taxing on the amp.  Sounds like you should try a more powerful amp.

Pretty Expensive speakers for a mid - level system with a low level turntable and a mini - mite Amplifier....Get a new amp (200 W minimum) and then upgrade your Music Hall....Then you can start to enjoy your new system.

@cinqcepages -

Woof brings up an interesting point.

Have you experimented with your loading buttons?

The recommendation for the Legacy is 100 Ohms, which the M1 provides.

Too high an input impedance on the M1, could be a major issue, with a LOMC.

boxcarman

Lots of phono stages do not put out the same level as other components. So you have to turn up your amp to get the same loudness. Which is taxing on the amp.

No, that doesn’t tax the amplifier. The amount of work an amplifier does is measured at its output. To that extent, the relative position of the volume control is irrelevant.

You guys give me a lot to think about. All good information. That is what I was hoping for. Then using my analytical skills (IT pro) to single out the most logical.

I did not mention my DAC. Although the musical reproduction is sad compared to the vinyl (through Bluetooth) - the volume is good with no distortion. As is the CD.

But the comment about underpowered mono blocks IS CORRECT. And of the Speakers IS CORRECT. But those are pricey decisions.

I have a Cary Audio SS 200SE or something like that. 200 WPC. I will temporarily hook that up while I research a new cartridge and phono stage using pre-mentioned advice.

a HUGE thank you to everyone who replied. Great group.