Phono Stage Amp

I have a mid-level to low end turntable. (Music Hall 11.1) and a low end decent Phono Stage Music Fidelity M1. Good tonearm and good cartridge. 

I listen to JAZZ so volume isn't too much of an issue, but sometimes I just want it loud. I have Cary Audio slp-05 tube pre and the Cary Audio mono block main tube amps as drivers

I crank the volume up just past half way and there tends to be distortion. Below half way the sound is incredible. The records sound better than the corresponding CD or, of course, DAC streaming.

Would upgrading my phono-stage to one with greater boost help me? Or is that half (my whole phono system) of my system as good as it could get?  

128x128cinqcepages

@ditusa and Jason have nailed it.  Nothing to do with cart or phono stage.  Or acoustic feedback.  Or TT isolation!!

15w of Cary fleapower won't drive the the 87dB grossly inefficient Totems.  So it sounds fine when underdriven but is probably bleeding out 5% distortion when you up the volume.

Only three solutions:

1.   If you like the sound, don't up the volume.

2.   Ditch the fleapower Cary if you like the Totems and get an amp giving 200w or so with a decent power supply section.

3.   If you like the Cary, get speakers with around 100dB sensitivity.  You'll be limited to horns, just like all the other fleapower users.

@cinqcepages

What model are your Cary mono blocks? How old are the output tubes?
Chances are you’re on the low end of what those speakers really need.

All the best.

agree 15W or 10W or whatever is way too little for 87dB speakers, but the distrtion problem goes away when he changes source.

I have the SLP 05 with two Primaluna Dialogue 7 monoblocks. I use speakers with powered bass, GoldenEar Triton Reference. No power problem. You could get more amps and biwire your speakers.