Remembering Lou Reed

Can’t believe it’s been six years. I miss Lou Reed. I loved Lou Reed. I loved both the good and bad Lou Reed. I love some of his crappiest albums (Mistrial anyone; The Original Wrapper). 

We used to party with Sweet Mary Jane in the high school parking lot listening to Rock And Roll Animal. I don’t know how many copies of Loaded I’ve worn out. His string of early eighties albums had the most resonance for me. The Blue Mask, Legendary Hearts and New Sensations get played regularly to this day. Saw him live a couple times during this time frame. “Live In Italy” sums it all up for me. Great band, great sound, great setlist.

To Laurie A and the rest of Lou’s circle of family and friends; the love of Lou is carried by many of us and hopefully will be passed along to another generation so the light of Lou will never be extinguished. 

Continue to R.I.P Lou Reed (3/2/1942 - 10/27/2013)

lmnop

I peeled off the Banana Peel sticker from my first edition Velvet Underground LP, thus ruining its collector value. Then again, I played that LP so much, the jacket soon  became a cardboardy ruin, anyway. I was turned on to Lou Reed and the band because Heroin was a playlist regular on one of L.A.'s pioneering underground FM stations. I can't remember which, but it might have been the one that eventually changed its name to KROQ..

I listened to New York a couple of days ago and made a mental note to play it more often.

Yes, cheers to Lou. I agree with the OP: I also loved the good and the bad Lou. My favorite "bad" album is probably Rock and Roll Heart, but he knocked us all on our butts with Street Hassle a couple years later. That album was a statement. I saw him a few times, with one particularly great night playing with the brilliant Robert Quine to a relatively small crowd. Lou made intense eye contact with a number of us, penetrating.  

I bought the release from this past RSD with Lou Reed & Kris Kristofferson @ The Bottom Line and it surprised me at how good the SQ is. It's a historical record ( pun intended) to boot!