The new dynamic in speaker pricing

Yesterday I received the latest issue of the Absolute Sound mag. This issue has the round up of the varying speaker manufacturer’s wares along with the retail pricing. One thing that struck me is the number of speaker manufacturer’s who have a speaker in their line up that cost close to a $1M!! There are good number of speakers now available with prices in the $700K+ range. A few manufacturer’s are also a little ’glib’ with their top model pricing, such as Oswalds Mill--who state- price upon inquiry only!

This new speaker pricing dynamic is interesting, as it clearly indicates that there are buyers out there who are happy to pay these prices and presumably enough buyers to make these products viable. A trend that is certainly interesting and yet questionable as to how it will impact the hobby as a whole.

Opinions on this trend?

128x128daveyf

There are many billionaires in this world. They do not blink at paying a million for some "state of the art" speaker system. And when they are standing there talking to one of their billionaire friends they need to say well I stole them for a million. My question is what did it actually cost to build million dollar speakers....!

Put any of these upper six figures speakers in an average room and my bet is my $18,000 speakers in the house of stereo will make them sound silly. Meaning you would be better off spending low six figures in building a proper listening room first before spending your money on top level speakers. If you can do both, good for you.

I don't feel its a trend. There has always been uber expensive options in every facet  for those that can afford them. Does a Rolex really tell time any better than a Timex? A fool and his money are soon partying...

I've been looking into Von Schweikert a little bit and I can't believe some of their prices. I'm sure they're great speakers, but the Ultra 11 costing $350k to me is ridiculous for a brand that doesn't seem that well known. Even the Gryphon stuff costing close to $100k seems insane. I guess there is a market, but are the speakers that good? Or is the carriage leading the horse?

I build better horns than OMA and I don't sell them for new home prices.,