Tweaking the network, surprising results…

I’m a complete skeptic when it comes to Ethernet switches, “audiophile” CAT cables and so forth. I’ve played around with a few switches and found zero audible difference. As is, my net consists of a Arris modem (Optimum 500 mbps) to a Netgear Nighthawk router, cabling is Supra CAT8. So after dismissing the switch idea, I decided to tweak the power aspect of the network. I installed a Shunyata Venom C7 powercord on the Arris and a iFi LPS on the Nighthawk. Then plugged both the modem and router into a PS Audio UPC 200 with a fat Virtual Dynamics power 3 powercord. The results are REALLY interesting…there is without doubt an audible shift in the sound of my system. I can’t quite put it in words at the moment, and this could totally be my mind effin” with me but it seems as if the soundstage has been pushed back further. I need to sit down and try to understand what’s going on here. If anyone has gone down the path of playing with power upgrades I’d really like to know what you made of it.

128x128jl1ny

Thanks for chiming in fellas,

it’s 1230am right about now and I’ve been sitting here for the past couple hours playing track after track of recordings that I’m extremely familiar with and I keep trying to wrap my head around how things have changed. The soundstage on some really good recordings has deepened substantially. “Yuko Mabuchi plays Miles Davis” / La&Oc Audio Society / Yarlung records / Qobuz, has gone from deep to WTF deep. There definitely are other things in the soundscape that have changed, need more listening to pick out what they are exactly….this is a pretty cool audiophile experiment.

Welcome to the world of hi-fi.  So glad that you were open minded enough  to try a few things. As your resolution  increases  changes ate way easier to hear. 

On the power side of things if you feel like it buy a furutech  receptacle  for your wall plug. That is huge as well

A free thing people will laugh at you but  use a Google quality  level and make sure your speakers  are perfect  and they are exactly  the same height.  Put a straight edge over the top of them and have the straight edge lined up on the two inside corners see if the outside corners are the same distance  from the straight edge. If not make sure they are. You are making sure the toe in is correct. Make sure the speakers are solid to the floor as well. 

Get that all done and as you get that done have a listen  each time. If interested you can pm me and I can keep you busy for a month or two of free upgrades and you will be amazed at the end result.  

Regards 

More on all of this here from a recent Agon discussion. Like you I find better PSU’s made an audible difference. I also use an EtherRegen with signal in from optical from an enterprise switch plugged into a power conditioner.

Just as cabeling is a component so should clean power and the Ethernet chain be. Like you @jl1ny after chasing all of it down there was an audible difference not subject to my bias but noted by my spouse who could care less.

Go Sox!

I incrementally added an Etherrgen, fiber feed, Farad LPS to the regen, Afterdark 10Mhz clock, Farad LPS to the Afterdark,  Afterdark upgraded clock cable, all Farad has their upgraded DC and AC cables. The sound has become quite free of digital hash, a very beautiful sound. Three weeks ago I lent it all to an out of town friend. Now the kink...i was feeding my Grimm MU1 streamer directly with the house CAT cable and the entry point house switch. What I heard was bright and has some digital grunge, but it also had better decay and the leading edge was more defined. Some of the information is being disturbed in trying to remove the digital grunge. You will need to decide if it's worth it, but in my system there seems to be a trade off at this point in the technology. Good luck and please keep experimenting and sharing. 

@retiredfarmer 

My speakers are dialed in tight. I geeked out and pick up a Prexiso laser measurement gizmo off Amazon. Best toy ever! I was surprised to discover how off my speaker placement was.

@wsrrsw 

Network Acoustics Muon Ethernet Filter really has my interest. I like that it’s a non-powered filter but it’s expensive. It’s placed between the switch/router and the streamer. Thing is, they recommend that a short line of ethernet is used between the Muon and switch/router. The distance from my streamer to router is a good 15 feet away so idk of the Muon would work in my application.