SUT for EAR 834p?

Hi folks. Happy Wednesday.

When I was younger I owned an EAR 834p (20 years ago?). Loved it, don’t know why I sold it. So I recently bought another one.

I found a very nice 834p (with Mullards) and have been playing through my system with a Dynavector 20x2L cartridge. If I press the moving coil button on the back, it sounds fine but I need to turn the volume up to really enjoy my music.

I’ve read that inserting an SUT between the table (SL1210GR) and the EAR might be a good idea, and if I do that just use the MM input. Supposed to sound "better"?

I’d appreciate experience listeners describing to me what differences I might notice other than increased volume. SUT’s are not inexpensive and suggestions would be appreciated brands/models. Or do I just sell the Dynavector and get a high output MC? Or a high quality MM?

Btw my music is "straight" jazz and classic rock.  And lots of acoustic guitar.  And piano, cello, etc.  

Thank you and Happy 4th coming up (my birthday).

Steve Ashe

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xsteveashe

One of my owned SUT's is the Cinemag 1254.

This has been compared to a range of other Brand SUT's and does stand out for how it projects the Upper Mid's and has a added presence in the Bass that does seem capable of producing the perception, that the bass has as a speedy roll off with not too much overhang.

It is also during comparisons a SUT that does not seem to add a influence that has a rich influence on the sound. 

It is the closest to the transparency of a Head Amp, with a similar bass presence.

I had grounding issues with a SUT so switched to a solid state head amp that had no such issues, lots of gain and sounds good, plus it is cheap!

https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/products/piccolo2-mc-preamp#:~:text=Probably%20the%20best%20praise%20for,cartridge%20you%20throw%20at%20it.

OP here. Based on the wealth of information available here on audiogon and across the internet, I’ve been looking at good mm carts. Seriously considering a Nagaoka MP-500H and just using the mm input on the EAR 834P rather than adding a SUT in between my Dynavector and the EAR. I haven’t changed out cartridges in a while and it might be fun to play. The Nagaoka seems to be well respected. And certainly has enough oomph to use the mm section of the ear.  

As I mentioned I presently use a Dynavector 20x2l.

Thumbs up, down, sideways? Would love to hear your thoughts.

In a similar price range seriously consider getting the Hana ML or Phasemation PP-200 - the last one might surprise even more. 

I ended up buying a Cinemag 1254 based SUT.  Should be here later this week, very excited!  Keeping the Dynavector for now.