How do you like the Headphone Section in your Luxmans?

I don’t use headphones a whole lot and only used them once since I got my Luxman 505UXII until the other night. I decided to break out my Grado SR125s and spin a few discs. I was really surprised at the sound. I listen more to Bass than other instruments and the tone and resonance of the bass lines were really good. So, wondering how other Luxman owners like and rate the onboard Headphone section? I am assuming aside from tiny tweaks, the HP section is pretty similar thru the 5XX line. What would it cost to better it with an outboard HP Amp?

Cheers!

Brian

brianh61

I havent listened, but a review I read mentioned there really is not a headphone section or amplifier.  Luxman uses the main amp through a resistor.  That is it.

So your mileage will vary.  A lot better with high impeedance headphones I would think.

@erik_squires 

I think this is common. I have heard this kind of thing before. It is an afterthought… better have this function. Why I chose a separate headphone amp (Woo) and found it incredible. I think most companies just add it to add another feature. Most folks don’t use them, I never have. I always put together a separate system for my headphones.

@ghdprentice 

Funny you should mention that. One of the two best headphone amps I've ever heard was a Woo that was too rich for me.

I only listen to cans once in a while so my questions were more out of curiosity as to the quality of the Luxmans. I also use the Phono section which is also good enough for me.