Kronos Sparta or TechDas Air Force III?

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to buy one of them. They are both used but with one year warranty. Soon I will have the chance to listen to the Kronos, but it is difficult to listen to second and this is why I need your opinion and experience.

Thanks

renatocomes

The hold down on the Tech Das AF impacts the playback significantly - that's been my experience comparing the AF VP with an AF Technics SP10 Mk2 (no clamp) and Kuzma Stabi R w clamp. For that reason, if I were spending that kind of dough, I'd definitely chose the TechDas AF over the Kronos. It's the most sought-after technologies for modern turntables - Dohmann is trying to add hold down to their next update so that says a lot.  I will add that TechDas customer service isn't that great - so if that's important to you - keep that in mind.  Either way, you can't go wrong.  Good luck - it's fun shopping for turntables (and almost everything else audio related - amps, speakers, carts etc).

IMO, if you have to ask that question of a forum, you shouldn't be wasting your money on either.

"Uhmm, I tried to add vacuum hold down on my Linn LP12...was not a pretty site, nor a pretty sound,"

daveyf-perhaps RR was implying the highly advanced AT666 from the 80's?

He's knowledgeable of everything in the audiophool universe, so his comments must be true-WOW!

Dear @daveyf : "  nor a pretty sound..""

Well nothing is perfect and there are some issues with the vacuum hold down mechanism. 

Some Micro Seiki TT models that came with the hold down the surface material where the LP rest is metal one and here exist a problem of resonances/vibrations not well damped but other MS models fixed that with a hold down non-metal contact LP surface and ovbiously all improved with this change. In the AT after market item happened the same and AT had both the metal and felt like contact surface.

In both kind of hold down mechanism exist other issue and is that the LP side in contact with the hold down must be perfectly cleaned as the hold down contact surface because the microscopic dust be sticked for ever if not perfectly cleaned.

The hold down it's not very good with the LP waves but because the LP is almost " sticked to the platter making that the stylus/cantilever " feels " less movements and we can listen its " integrity " in the reproduced sound.

The after market items gives too or works too as a flyweel adding its weigth.

R.