Why did my amp just crash and burn ?

I just installed a new set of AQ Robin Hood Zero cables. A little hiss sound from the speakers prompted me to adjust the spade connecters just a little on the amp. Then low and behold , the amp just cuts off and currently appears dead as a doornail. 

What just happened and needless to say this is an absolute bummer. 

chaseton

If the amp is totally dead then the mains fuse is most likely blown. You need to check after replacing the mains fuse that you have both channels working as it is possible that you may have blown the output stage of the channel on which the spades were adjusted. If that is the case then the amp will have to be looked at by a technician as, according to the manual, the amp does not have fuses on the output stage.

Glad to hear it was just the fuse. Many of us have learned the lesson the hard way, always turn power off when changing any type of interconnect or power cord.

chaseton:

In an ideal situation with no music playing there’s no voltage on the outputs of an amp. When you short an amp in this situation you should generate no current.

If your fuse blew it _might_ be an indicator that there’s some DC offset. Meaning that instead of an amp returning to 0V it returns to some value above or below 0 that is significant. Get a multimeter, set it to DC and measure. Value should be under 100mV.

On the other hand, an amp could short from just it’s normal noise.

Your a lucky man, all is well. Be sure to match fuse exact, after this post I’m going to turn off my amp when switching interconnects or any other wire from now on OP you taught me a lesson.  I just ordered 10 fast blow ceramic fused from Mouser .62 cents each, if you need a place to source correct fuses. Conrad Johnson charges $7.95 per fuse at .62 might as well get a life time supply.

Amp took out a fuse last week on the output tube protection circuit. Had the old xf2 tubes tested there all good. Conrad Johnson said that is normal and keep using the old Mullard’s until it takes out fuses repeatedly. The tube did not red plate. That’s very confusing to me for him to say that, got to ask while I’m here anyone heard of this?