6sn7 tubes and Schiit Freya +

Hi all-

I’m a new Freya plus owner and just getting ready to move beyond the Stock J&J tubes.  I was reading a thread about 6sn7 tubes and saw this—

The 6SN7GTA and GTB versions were introduced in 1950 and 1954 respectively. They have ‘upgraded’ ratings, which are as follows.

GTA: maximum anode dissipation upgraded to 5W (the GT is rated for 2.5W) 
GTB: identical to the GTA, but with a controlled heater warm up time for use in equipment with 600mA heater strings

This is significant because it means that a circuit designed around the 6SN7GTA/GTB cannot have 6SN7GTs substituted into it. Substituting a GT in place of a GTA/GTB in your equipment will precipitate its rapid destruction and possibly damage your equipment.

I recently purchased Sylvania 6SN7 GTAs (chrome domes) and Hytron VT 231 6SN7 GTs.  Are both okay to use in my Schiit Freya +?

Thank you!  Margot

mcanaday

just keep the stock tubes.  you schiit buyers are driving up the cost of NOS 6SN7s! 

According to the Getting Started/Replacing Tubes page of the manual(s):

"Freya(Freya+) accommodates any 6SN7, 6N8S, or 5692 tube type..."

https://schiit.com/public/upload/PDF/freya_manual_1_0.pdf

I recently purchased Sylvania 6SN7 GTAs (chrome domes) and Hytron VT 231 6SN7 GTs. Are both okay to use in my Schiit Freya +?

Yes! See manual below:

Mike

That is quite the snobby statement. @mcanaday do what you want and buy what you want. 

Like these folks are less deserving than people who paid to much for their Cary.

just keep the stock tubes.  you schiit buyers are driving up the cost of NOS 6SN7s!