Recommend Halfler XL-280 Repair/Restore/Rebuild ?

Per the thread title, my long-term Halfler XL-280 requires, at minimum, a repair. As anyone reading this probably knows, this amp was a very popular unit for hobbyists and rebuild shops.

I see plenty of repair kits on eBay, but my next session with a soldering iron will be my first. Can anyone recommend a repair/restore shop, preferably in the mid-Atlantic/northeast?

Or would you recommend instead sending it to either Musical Concepts or Audio By Van Alstine for a complete teardown and rebuild?

Much thanks for any advice or pointers . . .

rwstone

Rockford Fosgate, in Tempe, Arizona made the last iterations of the XL 280.

You might try contacting them, for info on who still does repairs.

https://rockfordfosgate.com/contact-us/

30 years old, $600 mid-fi amp? I don't think I would spend any money on it. Doesn't make sense to me. I have/had some old pieces of gear and at some point, you just have to let it go. 

I was thinking the same as russ69. I'm familiar with this amp from years ago, and I can understand sentimental attachment, but this amp is nothing special and it looks like you could sink a lot of money into it and end up with an expensive amp that is average or less. Think about it.

Okay, it sounds like the consensus is that repairing or restoring the Hafler to original specs isn’t worth the fee and freight, if I can’t do it myself.

But what about the mod shops that utilize the amp chassis, namely those from Audio By Van Alstine and Musical Concepts? That is, would the $1000 necessary to create a "new" amp in the old chassis be better spent on a newly manufactured amp?

That is, would the $1000 necessary to create a "new" amp in the old chassis be better spent on a newly manufactured amp?

Yes.