33rpm vs 45rpm - which is better

Growing up, I was a big Peanuts comics fan including Vince Guaraldi’s music.

Recently, a remastered from tape “Great Pumpkin” vinyl was announced in both 331/3rpm and 45rpm, both are a single LP each at Elusive Disc. Both albums have the same number of songs.

It seems that playing slower allows for wider grooves, while faster may mean longer grooves. If so, I’ve no clue which one is better.

Which version offer the best sonics?

kennyc

@larryi 

I do have fun shocking people with some original recordings that demonstrate how the art of recording has NOT improved in the last 60+ years.  I can put on a 1959 Columbia Brubeck "Time Out" or Ellington's "Blues in Orbit" to show that even stereo was fantastic way back in time.  Both recordings have had audiophile reissues, none quite match the originals.

Depending upon whether you're an optimist or a pessimist, that's either wonderful or a tragedy.

Wonderful that some people knew what they were doing back in 1959 or a tragedy that they don't or can't be bothered now.

Or perhaps it's just a simple question of economic demand and supply?

Maybe the average 1959 jazz afficinado expected a high standard of playback quality from this new LP format but the 2022 one is content with what they're given?

It's 2022, if you don't ask, you don't get.

There are plenty of nice sounding modern jazz recordings too.  They are almost exclusively available in digital formats.  I don't think sound quality for jazz or classical has gotten worse since then, it just hasn't improved much despite all the supposed technical improvements.

So Many variables!

I own half-speed mastered, direct to discs and 45s, that all take me to to the event, as well as the same that don’t.

Much depends on the recording techniques, who did the mix and master, quality of the vinyl, who built/adjusted the cutting lathes, amps, etc.

Thus far: no vinyl tech I’ve personally heard, has outperformed the stuff that Sheffield Labs, Nautilus, Crystal Clear and MFSL produced, back in the late Seventies/early Eighties.

Then too: Brubeck’s ’Take Five’ on Columbia, was my first Jazz album (conventional, bought around 1970) and it still sounds phenomenal.

Crystal Clear’s ’San Francisco Limited’, D to D, 45 RPM album, is one of my favorites for evaluating a system’s sound.    White vinyl and (funny with that title) really good New Orleans Jazz.

12 inch 45's are King. I have this and it's my go to demo. You can watch the stylus and cantilever move....like a bee in a bee hive. 

Talking Heads – I Zimbra (1979, Vinyl) - Discogs

Never dived into the 45 vs 33 question - but I always found 78's were the best compared to a 33 of the same song. I assumed this was because faster speed = longer groove = the ability for more information to be captured in the cut. Applying that logic to your question, 45's ought to have the edge.

@aewarren Agree on the orange disc. Bought a Soft Machine Vol 1 to replace my 30 year old copy - amazing packaging compared to my original - working dial and all. Then, I pull out the record to see colored vinyl. Somebody need to tell them to stop doing this - just stop.