Michael Fremer leaves Analog Planet

I'm not sure who I can trust anymore.....

128x128j-wall

@bdp24 - 'who can afford the products he focuses on'?

Enough people, apparently, for these products to be made and sold and the companies doing so appearing to be doing well. There are plenty of products that I cannot afford, but I'm good with other people with more dosh being able to, and I find it interesting to read about them anyway. There are reviewers catering to all kinds of budgets.

Agreed @larsman. And even if I don't have the dough for a $10,000 cartridge (though I do have a $5,000 one ;-), $50,000 tone arm, $150,000 turntable, or $200,000 pair of loudspeakers, I do enjoy reading about them. I didn't intend my use of the term "academic" to be taken pejoratively! And beside, Fremer also finds and reviews best value phono products, like the Liberty B2B-1.

I find TAS to be focused almost entirely on "ultra"-priced hi-fi, but once on a while am surprised. I like Robert E. Greene's writing (he did a great review of the bargain-priced Eminent Technology LFT-8b loudspeaker), and Dick Olsher is one of my all-time favorite hi-fi reviewers (he is very much in the JGH camp).  

I'm glad to know he's still working on vinyl. I just signed up for The Absolute Sound :)

@j-wall ,

How much respect would you have for him if he told you to go f___yourself because you disagreed with him?